insulating internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dividing wall between my dining room and passge to the garage is a solid wall and is always cold so I intend to insulate it. I would prefer to insulate on the passage side, but as the passage is fairly narrow I would like to keep the insulation as thin as possible. I am sure I have seen a product which is very thin - reflective foil? Could I use this and then face with plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
You can buy plasterboard with insulation on the back for about £15 a sheet.

Forget the foil idea. ;)

Hi almapete, the product you're talking about is probably Tri ISO Super10. It is thinner than 'standard' insulation but you will need to fix battens to the wall to allow an air gap, then foil, then batten then plasterboard. By the time you've got the plasterboard on you will probably lose approx 75mm floor space.

hth

Ok, the foil idea is out - presumably the insulated plasterboard comes in varying thicknesses? Do I still need the air gap or can the plasterboard be fixed straight to the wall?

Sponsored Links
presumably the insulated plasterboard comes in varying thicknesses? Do I still need the air gap or can the plasterboard be fixed straight to the wall?

inso' backed board is available in varying thicknesses and performance grades.

these boards can be dabbed straight onto the wall.

An alternative to inso board is to batten walls with 2*1 and infill between battens with sheets of pu foam before attaching plasterboard. More work but better insulation and easier if you are not used to dabbing plasterboard

Do you mean the wall is cold (ie to the touch) or the room is cold?

If its just a cold wall then you can just plasterboard it on dabs or lath and this will provide a warmer surface.

I can't see much benefit in fixing the insulation on the [cold] passage side of the wall. The purpose would be to prevent heat loss from the room, so it is better placed on the room side, otherwise you are still heating the solid wall up before the insulation does its job - which I feel would achieve nothing or at best, very little.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back