Insulating kitchen floor gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

we have bought a house last year and already first winter exposed the problem with the temperature in the kitchen. There are some massive draughts and generally, floor is extremely cold when the temperature outside drops.
We have a suspended wooden floor with laminate on top of it.
I've discovered under a kitchen sink cupboard that there are pipes coming down through the floor where there is a big gap, a potential entry point of the cold air.
I wanted to patch it somehow but not sure what would be the best way to do that?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Picture of the gap and the pipes attached.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_123320.jpg
    IMG_20220807_123320.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Expanding foam, but will have very little effect on temp In the kitchen.

Thanks. Anything that would both fill that gap and improve the temp?

Expanding foam will cure the draughts, but for insulation you'll have to install something like snug fitting PIR insulation between the joists, i.e. beneath the floor. There is no easy solution, I'm afraid

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Anything that would both fill that gap and improve the temp?

floors need draughtproofing, but not a lot of insulation

there is no convection loss, obv,

negligible radiation

and not much loss through conduction into the still air beneath

so a layer of mineral wool, tightly packed to block draughts, will block most of the remainder as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back