Insulating my garage - should I do anything about the floor?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to insulate my garage so I can work there in the winter

Someone came round and gave a quote
The suggested putting something on the concrete floor would be a very good idea

I want to spend as small amount as possible

I don't want a full conversion into a room or anything
Just want to be able to work in the winter with a heater as and when required

If putting something down is a good idea - what should I put down?

An important consideration is a manhole!!
The person who came around said we could just build an access point for it

Any replies would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Insulating the roof, then walls and stopping draughts are all more important than the floor. Concentrate on these and then put some old carpet down.

Sponsored Links
the thing is, this is only meant to be a temporary thing
i don't want a full conversion
all i need is to stay warm - or warm enough to work at least with a heater if required during winter

question: how much more warmer would it be with carpets?
20%? if it would make a big difference, then maybe i'd consider really cheap carpet with underlay

i would say rug - but i think this would be more expensive + not cover the whole floor

let me know what u think
thanks

Doing anything to the floor on its own is pretty pointless. Heat rises - that's why building regs specify 270mm of loft insulation...

How much was the quote and what exactly did he propose?

Doing anything to the floor on its own is pretty pointless. Heat rises - that's why building regs specify 270mm of loft insulation...

How much was the quote and what exactly did he propose?
Yes of course I understand doing the floor on its own does nothing
My question is, give that I am having the roof insulated and a stud wall built and also insulated, is it worth me also doing something to the floor?

I got a few quotes. £400 just labour and £500 including materials and labour from two separate people

I was thinking of doing myself building a stud wall + boarding the roof

The looks, I am not bothered with

Then I had some guy come round who quoted £120 per day
From the investigation I've done, I know it's 1 days work - maybe stretch to 2 days if taking time
I was thinking of going with this guy

I can get cheaper, I know since I've done so in the past

What do u think?
Thanks

Insulating the floor will save very little heat, if any, spend your money on heating, after all it's temporary?

Insulating the floor will save very little heat, if any, spend your money on heating, after all it's temporary?
yes: temporary until i can make money to pay for a proper extension

Right, so you are doing the roof and walls, good. Doing the floor won't save you a great deal in heat loss, the main issue is that a cold slab of concrete will make your feet cold. Just put some old carpet down in the places where you are going to be standing / working to help with this. As to whether to DIY or get your man to do it comes down to whether you have more spare time or spare money. Without seeing the job, £400 labour doesn't seem too unreasonable for a good job (which is what any decent tradesman will try to do). Since you only want a very rough and ready job I suggest you DIY it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back