Insulating Shed - To Air Gap or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just in the process of constructing a new pre-fabbed shed. Planning to store some tools and a few other bits in there so want to make sure it's insulated.

At the moment the shed has 40mm studs. I've picked up some Thermal foil insulation (acts as a vapor barrier), and was also planning to get some celotex too.

I'm reading conflicting info though on the best way to go about actually insulating it. Do I need to leave an air gap or not? My main worry is condensation building up in the gap and not escaping.

If I do leave an air gap (say 20mm) what's the best way to layer materials? Should it be:

Foil attached to cladding - air gap - celotex - MDF/OSB

OR

Cladding - air gap - Celotex - Foil - MDF/OSB

OR should I just get 40mm celotex, leave no air gap and pack the gap with foil, then celotex then board?

Or should I not have the vapor barrier at all? Definitely do not want to trap any moisture inside the shed or create damp/mouldy conditions.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
cladding - celotex - foil taped joints- osb

Are you planning to heat the shed? If not, there isn't much point in insulating it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back