Insulating / soundproofing kitchen suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 300mm centres under my suspended kitchen floor. I want to insulate and also slightly soundproof.  I can\'t find any 300mm wide insulation at all! I was thinking of buying 600mm insulation roll and cutting that in half to put down 1st. Then buying some 60kg/m3 acoustic slabs to cut in half hopefully to friction fit and putting them on top?

Is this the best solution as I don\'t want to spend a fortune.

Sponsored Links
You get combined acoustic insulation which would save you one having two materials in the joist spaces. What is the noise source your trying to lessen? ...pinenot :)

Noisy neighbours from below. I can hear them speak, tv the usual.
So you recommend acoustic insulation slab or roll? as I will have to push some through under drywalls. How do I ensure there are no gaps between the slabs besides just pushing them together?

I take it the these floors/ceilings are not separated by concrete, but are simply timber joists, plasterboard and floor decking?...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Yea. It is suspended timber floor. Plasterboard ceiling below. Then 9" deep 3" wide joists 1ft apart. Then with 2cm thick t&g boards on top. No insulation at all with the odd wire running through the odd hole for I guess lights below. This is the same for the rest of my 1st floor flat. Seeing if I can do the kitchen floor insulation/soundproofing myself first. Some boards run under drywall partitions so will be a struggle to ensure no gaps as I will not be able to cut the boards at the skirting.

OK, before I give you any definitive information lets explore all the options. I know you'r simply contemplating putting in insulation between the joists, but as that requires lifting all the floorboards with all the damage that could incur plus the cost of insulation/acoustic bats etc. both cost and time are going to be a heavy investment, any mistakes now could therefore be costly.
I'm assuming this is a bought property i.e. not landlord responsibility? Also you say the floor/ceiling construction between flats is, from bottom upwards, plasterboard - 3" joists @ 1' foot spacing and floorboards, no mention of an ash layer, which in older buildings was both the sound deadening and the fireproofing, so what's happened to that?? but that's another question.
If I've got it right so far and interpret your situation correctly you suffer from occupancy noises as apposed to noisy neighbours and you want to start in the kitchen you really should identify any peripheral avenues the noise may be coming through (under floor acoustic insulation may simply divert to lateral noise) Look for service shafts, pipe penetrations (in cupboards) etc.
Now let's get down to that insulation. By far the cheapest option would be acoustic underlay, properly installed some claim to better the current regs, you would have to research this yourself, to suit your particular floor covering. Acoustic insulation should be available locally or can ordered online. Where the boards run under drywall partitions have a look at their direction of run (lengthwise) the joists should run in the opposite direction meaning you need only cut each side of the partition and feed the insulation under and through.
I would seriously try out acoustic underlay first, it may seem expensive at first for what it is but if it works you could save yourself a lot of money in the long run...pinenot :)

As the flat downstairs v.rarely put their heating on and they're pretty loud. Is it best to put 100mm insulation down on netting first. Then put 100mm 60kg/m3 Acoustic slab friction fitted on top. (Cavities are 210mm deep and 300mm wide). Then put 20mm t&g new boards back on. Some boards are part under separating drywalls. I will have to do this eventually to all my flat. Oh... I do own my flat. Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back