Soundproofing original wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased a 1st floor flat, one of the main reasons for buying was that it had original floor boards which i would like to sand and varnish. The lease says that I cannot have exposed floor boards unless sufficient soundproofing is fitted.

I don't want to rip up all the boards to lay soundproofing between the joists, and was wondering if there are any products available which could be spayed between the joists so that I would only have to rip up one or two boards, or if anyone has got any other suggestion they would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you're on a looser here. I should imagine that this covenent has been introduced to your contract out of respect for your downstairs neighbours.

Since the floorboards are connected directly to the joists (by being laid and nailed on to them), soundproofing just between the joists will have negligable effect.

One solution would be to fit a false ceiling in your downstairs neighbours residence. (a big job). Another would be to fit a seperate issolated floor above your original (sort of defeats the object of the excercise).

Sorry, but unless you are willing to spend big bucks and lots of work, the only practical solution is to reduce the noise at source (ie, carpet).

There is another way, but it is a lot of work.

Lay sound-insulation underlay (often used with wood laminate floors. Basically a type of felt). On top of this, assemble tongue and groove floorboards, glued together, to form a floating floor (i.e. one not directly attached to the joists).

The disadvantage of this is that you aren't seeing the original wood. If you are desperate to see the original boards, take them up, replace with chipboard/ply. Put the underlay on this. If the old boards are tongue and groove (doubt it) then assemble these as your floating floor. If not, then lay ply on top of the insulation, and nail/glue the floorboards to this as a backing.

Either way is quite a bit of work and money.

I would say forget it .
I have recently finished converting a house into two flats and to comply with building regs you will need to

1. fill the void between the joist with dense rockwool slabs (6")
2.lay a subfloor to replace the existing floor
3.lay an insulating matting such as acousticel A10 (not the stuff used for laminate floor)
4.lay a floating floor over this(doubt you will be able to use your existing boards for this).
This will increase you floor thickness by 10mm plus your flooring thickness)

and to make matters worse if your floor joists are at less than 600mm centres then the ceiling below will have to be upgraded using resillient bars and 2 layers of 12.5mm double check sound insulating plasterboard.

The local authority would then probably require testing to be carried out to show compliance (about £1000)
Co-incidently my brother-in-law has just bought a flat with a similar covenant and wanted to do the same and was told he would have to comply with current building regs if he wanted to do this.

I would just get a carpet :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
So, it sounds like a real hassle to get your boards insulated. Why not try a lateral approach?

The loudest floor-noises are caused by people walking about in shoes (my great-uncle's neighbour, a transvestite, used to strut about on hard floors in stilettos and you could hear it next door).

So, you could always try sanding the boards, and ban shoes. Just walk about in bare feet/slippers, and request the same of any visitors. You would do the same with a new carpet anyway! Ban anyone with a heavy walk too :LOL:

If it causes a problem, you haven't really lost anything. If it causes no problems, sorted.

even better sand the floors and the glue carpet to the bottom of all your shoes :LOL: :LOL: :p :p :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back