Insulating the MVHR unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone,
I am about to install an MVHR system - gulp.
The MVHR unit is situated outside the insulation zone of the house (in the cold loft space).
The manufacturer is recommending that the MVHR unit is insulated to the same level as the building.
My question is, what type of insulation should I use? Rockwool? PIR board?
Look forward to hearing from you and many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The MVHR just recommend it is insulated to "the same level" as the loft space, but do not specify an insulation type (rockwool, pir board)...

I install these units and I use a foil insulated wrap from Verplas or Nuarie, you can also wrap the duct in rock wool or simple cover duct but from April next year the duct must be wrapped insulation. the insulated wrap is only 8mm thick but has the same properties as 200mm rock wool, Hope this helps?

Cirrus, that is a great help, thank you. Do they do products solely for insulating ductwork or some insulation products that actually insulate the MVHR unit or am I being stupid???

Verplas sell plastic ducting, bends, wrap etc, and Nuaire sell the same but they manufacturer the MVHR units. There are loads of sites that sell the wrap, I am quite sure but I think the builders merchants supply this as well.

Surely you just build a stud frame around the unit and insulate the thing. And I'd hazard some Rockwool ductwrap for the pipes will be cheaper than anything from Verplas or Nuarie

Surely you just build a stud frame around the unit and insulate the thing. And I'd hazard some Rockwool ductwrap for the pipes will be cheaper than anything from Verplas or Nuarie

Yes it is cheaper, but there is no need to insulated the unit as the unit derives its heat from HVR, primarily it is the duct which needs insulating, especially the duct to the outside air vent, it is also very important that that the drain off for the unit is run into soil or waste drain as there is constant run of water, this pipe needs insulating as well.

As mentioned earlier, yes it is cheaper to cover the duct in rock wool and there is no need to insulated the unit as the unit derives its heat from HVR, primarily it is the duct which needs insulating, especially the duct to the outside air vent, it is also very important that that the drain off for the unit is run into soil or waste drain as there is constant run of water, this pipe needs insulating as well, there is also requirement for dry trap to be fitted to the run off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back