Insulating wallpaper in conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're trying to make our conservatory a little better at holding warmth. Until we can afford to replace the entire roof for something heavy duty, we're going to double glaze the windows with Magnaglaze and we were thinking about using fibre-based thermal wallpaper on the walls (Wallrock - that kind of thing).

The thing is, because the conservatory has some outer external walls (i.e. the paper would be going on a wall that is the OUTSIDE of the main house building, even though it's within the room of the conservatory) are we looking at condensation problems, etc? This stuff has worked brilliantly on the inside of external walls in my in-laws' place, but I don't really know how it would hold up in a much colder environment.

Otherwise, would the polystyrene insulating paper be a better choice?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you can find something as thin as wallpaper that will solve the insulation problems within a connie, let me know it will make me very rich.

Search the forum, there are approximately 8.6 trillion posts on the subject.

What they will all tell you is there is no magical panacea. Either don't use the connie in the winter (we don't use ours from Oct - March) Or build something you can heat efficiently and use all year round.

Or just keep on wasting money on heating or trying to 'polish a turd' so to speak.

The main problem is the roof. Once that's more substantial most of our issues will be solved.

If it helps, my in-laws used fibre thermal wallpaper on the walls of their downstairs loo - because the loo is built into the area that used to be the fire escape from the upper floors, the two side walls are outside walls and the back wall (with window) is the external wall. The tiles on the floor go straight onto ground and there is no heating.

Since using the stuff on the walls last year, there's been no issue with damp or condensation and the temperature year-round has changed from being only a couple of degree above outside temperature, to being a degree or so below indoor temps.

However, this is a much smaller space than the one we're dealing with.

Why don't you use the magic wallpaper on the roof? I'd wager that that would keep the conservatory toasty in winter and super-cooled in the summer.

Sponsored Links
The roof is that awful, cheap corregated plastic stuff... and if we block out the light we can't really class the room as a conservatory any more.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that the heat is dissipating thru the roof nothing you do to the walls will affect the heat retention.

Okay, good to have it confirmed, thanks :) I guess it was a bit of wishful thinking on our part...

Put a bigger radiator in it . ok- it will use a bit more energy-but at least you will be able to use it .
Cheap fix for the roof- is to put lightweight 'micky mouse' 'faux' slates on it. Pack the rafters with celotex (if you have rafters-- that is ?. Then board underneath with insulated plasterboard.

Otherwise- knock it down and build a extension-complete with 'up to date' insulation.
Absolutely NO other alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back