Insulation advice.

That's all a bit bizarre, like it was done by someone who changed their mind half way through. Insulating the slope (spray) makes it a warm roof, but then the room ceiling mostly doesn't utilize it and has its own layer of insulation, so it's some senseless hybrid of warm and cold roof. Sure, insulating the slope means the top triangle should be warmer and less drafty so the wool performs better, but if you go to the extent of spraying like that it's so you can make better use of the space underneath it..

I'd say perhaps don't get into the same muddle in the yellow triangle, of insulating all the sides of the trianglee. Either do a good job of insulating the slope of the triangle, or do a good job of insulating the wall and floor either side of the 90 degree angle. You're looking to create a consistent, continuous insulation envelope around the inhabited parts of the house. That can include dead space too like the innards of the triangle, if you want to have some temperate storage, but I'd save the money and insulate either the slope or the right angle depending on what use you want to make of the triangle inner

Do strive to insulate that part of the slope between the yellow triangle and the spray foam insulation. There are techniques for getting insulation up into it (is it really 2.4m long? your house must be massive or your drawing scale really wacky) - if you don't do it you'll potentially get a nasty cold spot on the ceiling plasterboards and mould risk.

Sponsored Links
I asked for the roof to be spray foamed and was quoted by the company to do the whole roof, however when they came the guy said he has aimed the hun down the slope but can’t guarantee it will all be done well. He also said the fibre would need to be pulled out as it has to be sprayed onto the felt and the had no way of pulling the fibre out. It has made a difference but it is still cold as cold air comes up through the vented soffit and I to the space I am looking to insulate. I am tempted to get the company back and spray foam but it was done in oct 21 so it’s a while ago and I’ve only just found this out, which is why I am looking at options.

I think the slope is about 2.4m, maybe just over, from the spray foam to the vented soffit. If I tried to stuff wool up there wouldn’t that mean there could be moisture problems? And lack of airflow?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back