Insulation behind kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating an old stone cottage and am about to fit the kitchen. Someone suggested I add insulation before I fit new units. Would you agree? Kitchen is very cold!

Would this work:
1. 25mm celotex sheets on the wall with grab glue.
2. Plywood then glued onto the celotex.
3. Kitchen units screwed into the plywood.

Sponsored Links
If celetex is hidden behind cupboards there is no need for ply. Just a batten, say 50 x 25 screwed flat.

I would suggest leaving gap between top of plinth and bottom of cuboards for air flow behind cupboard

It will be a lot easier if you buy the pre-bonded plasterboard, then you can just frame fix to the wall. 25mm wont make much difference though. can you go 40 or 50mm?

98490AD2-29F7-4AA7-A37E-4C982893FF7A.jpeg
Thanks both. And what would you do if some of the pipework has already been plumbed in? The photo is not mine but will do for illustration purposes. Do you chase that into the insulation so the insulation sits flush?

Sponsored Links
I would use 50-60mm insulated plasterboard , foam adhesive makes fix easy. You can trim out rear to accommodate pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back