Advice on installing new Kitchen units

I believe they have gone into the mortar between the bricks..!!
Depending on the quality of your mortar, the fixing you've used etc I'm not sure I would be that happy about that. It sounds to me like you might not be that sure of it either as you've felt the need to reinforce it with a strip of wood underneath?

The thing is is that will not stop it from coming off the wall if the mortar fixings are not solid - if they were to let go it could tip the contents out; crockery/pans/jars/tins etc can cause serious injury from that height - especially to children etc. if the whole cabinet comes free and falls then..?

Others may disagree - I'm a DIY'er so whilst I do this sort of stuff frequently I don't do it every day. Personally I would take that cabinet down, get hold of a hammer drill and re-drill in the original location into brick, put the cabinet back up and then use inter screws or an appropriate alternative to fix the cabinets to each other.

Sponsored Links
How about hanging all 3 or 4 on a single rail?

I saw the rail on another thread on here and thought it was genius!!

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300842764424

Cabinet Hanging Wall Mounting Rail Bracket 2032mm Length Kitchen Cupboard Hanger

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
yes, the rails are excellent. As long as you don't position it so that all the screws are in a crumbly mortar bed (chip off a bit of plaster if you suspect it), you can always find a place for a screw. It doesn't even matter is an occasional screw is poor, because the rail will span across. I like to use at least one good screw per 600mm, plus one within 50mm of each end, and to have a screw near each hanger position. I use 50mm screws which I think is generous (I have dense concrete block walls) but you have to disregard any part of the screw's length that is in plaster, plasterboard or air.

As well as being easy to level, and strong, the rail allows you to loosen the cabs and move them along or swap them if you find it necessary. Paint it to match the wall, preferably before fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back