kitchen wall units on a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so the french cleats on my kitchen units are not going to match up with the studs on my kitchen wall. I am going to cut out the plasterboard and replace with ply and screw the units on to this. However it is just hardboard backing on the units, will screws through this in to the ply hold?

Sponsored Links
Why don't you use Cabinet Hanging Rail, which is steel and comes in 2m or 3m lengths? You can screw it to the studs and hang the cabs along it. You can easily reposition them at whim. It is galvanised and you can paint it to match the wall (preferably before fitting)

It is made to fit adjustable cabinet hangers, which are usually sold with short bits chopped out of the same material. The hangers should be fixed to the side walls of your cabinets, not the flimsy hardboard backs

Fit it straight and level, and hanging your wall cabs is easy.

It works on the same principle as French Cleats. I suppose you could screw a length of the same rail to the backs of your cabinets if you didn't want to use the adjustable hangers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cabinet-H...764424?hash=item460ba04888:g:6QwAAOSw~CRTqX-b

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back