Hanging Kitchen Cupboards with paramount wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm currently redoing my kitchen and have come across a little problem. One wall which i am hanging kitchen wall units on i have now discovered is a paramount wall. I think that's what it is called anyway, it's a thin internal wall with plasterboard both sides and a egg box honeycomb thing in the middle. I have just moved in and the old kitchen had wall units which took a massive weight on that wall and were just held up by a few screws drilled into the wall. The screws were screwed into a metal plug inserted in the wall. As i said these cabinets look like they have been up for many a year and were pretty secure. I've looked along the wall making small holes and there are 2 very very thin studs but everyhting else is this plasterboard stuff. THe original units were no where near these studs. I no i've rambled on but i'm not sure what to do.

Should i fix a metal hanging rail along and just screw it into the wall all the way along using loads of screws and plugs (like mungo easi drier ones), will this hold the cupboards?

Could i do this and also attach a bracket to a ceiling stud/joist?

One cabinet can be attached on the side to an external wall so that should help i presume?

Only main issue is the chimney hood is meant to be attaching to this wall. Could i attach a piece of wood with loads of screws into the plasterboard and attach the chimney hood to that?

I know this is a ong post but any help would be most appreciated as i don't want my new kitchen to fall down.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you look at the other thread today on cabinet hanging, the srips I linked to would work if you fixed then at regular 6" intervals all along the wall with suitable plasterboard fixings.

The two studs you mention are just 2x2 that slots into a groove at the edge of the boards where they are joined. And Paramount is the correct term.

Jason

Hi thanks for that. Do you think i need to fit any additional bracekts to ceiling or anything or do you think i'm being way too cautious?

Sponsored Links
If it was my home i would change the wall, but i guess that is easy for me to say. :rolleyes:
I would not feel comfortable relying on pb fixings at any price......
..........particularly once you have seen your own children using the wall unit doors to pull themselves onto the worktops! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back