Please help -paramount wall and kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello gents.

If anyone can advise me on this I'd be grateful.

Fitting a new kitchen and will be putting 3 wall units onto what I now know of as a paramount wall. It's plasterboard either side of a cardboard egg box construction.

I've been reading up on here and decided to follow the advice of cutting some plasterboard away to fix a piece of timber to the vertical studs, but I didn't know what the wall type was then and I've created a channel along the wall that only shows one stud. Please see pictures.

What should be my next step in your opinion?

I'm thinking either continue with the adding timber idea and hope the little wooden frame is strong enough, OR rip out the plasterboard to an area of about 2 x 2.5 m and add a board (instead of a baton) thus spreading the load, screwed in more places on the single vertical stud.

All help welcomed! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks a mess I would rip out and fix/protect wiring and pipework as it may wander, then install new studs and osb board and plasterboard on top, you can then fix anywhere to wall knowing you have a timber background and you are not going to electrocute yourself.

ok thanks. what's the best way of installing new studs within the existing frame?

Sponsored Links
cheers but i meant more the method of fastening.

I believe I've 3 options:
- angled screwing with a butt joint (toenailing)
- cutting a step out of the stud and screwing straight through that
- using metal straps of some kind

sorry for all the questions.

Oh also what would you use for the new studs?

Thanks again!

Screws will do, not going to be seen or under much stress.
Timber stud to match or slightly smaller than existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back