Insulation board prices becoming untenable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just been informed by my builders merchant that foil board insulation has gone up 15% this month and will be going up again in November!!

Anyone know what’s going on? It seems rediculous that the price should be increasing so much!

What alternative is there for a conversion of a cold roof to a hot. I wanted 100mm board but I just can’t afford what I’m being quoted.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think there's been a fire in one of the main factories that produces the stuff, so you either wait for the price to come down, or bite the bullet and readjust the budget. You can look for seconds and offcuts, and there are varieties other than kingspan and cellotex.

yep its true its something to do with a chemical that is used in the production of the insulation that is in short supply so the price is rising. I needed 7 sheets for a project and was looking at around 50 quid a sheet for 100mm cheapest. luckily found a builder with some over for 20 a sheet.

How ironic given that it was the insulation that burned in Grenfell Tower. If that’s the case then it’s affected all makes I can get. Including Celotex and Kingdpan. Must be all made by the same factory.

Sponsored Links
I was at Wickes at 8.05 on Saturday morning collecting a few sheets of Celotex, and there were three other cars there loading up with the stuff too. It was a funny picture. I've also read that most manufacturers are feeding through price increases as of next week.

How much are you looking for? If you take your time you can pick up job ends off eBay from anything from 25% to 75% of retail price. It's a pain having to get it at a sheet or two at a time though.

This is the price increase page I saw:

http://www.insulationgiant.co.uk/price-increase

Brand Price increase (%) Effective Date
Celotex Insulation 13.5 - 17.5 % 16th October 2017
Novia 5.5 - 15% 1st October 2017
Mapei 3% 1st September 2017
Superglass up to 10% 1st September 2017
Thermal Economics 3% 8th August 2017
Isover 7.5% 7th August 2017

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back