Insulation Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normally insulation board fits in the cavity between two wall surfaces. But is it ok if the wall didnt have a back on it (internal wall)

So say on a commercial unit, Im putting a metal stud wall close to the external wall of the building. But I cant get right next to the external building wall due to the Z purlins and verious other bits.
So I will have to sit the wall about 300mm away. Meaning I wont be able to board the back side to hold the insulation in place.

So I was thinking, bond the insulation board to the plasterboard and leave the back open....Is that acceptable

The reason im not using the inuslated plasterboard, is cause I can only seem to get it in 2.4m length, and as the ceiling hieght is 2.7m and I play to dry wall, I'd rather a full 2.7m high plasterboard for ease

Sponsored Links
So what will you be fixing the insulation to? the purlins etc?

Normally if you want to avoid insulated plasterboard you would just mechanically fix the lot back to the substrate.

Bonding plasterboard to the insulation seems a bit bonkers. If it wouldn't fail anyway. If you went that route though somehow, then surely you'll be mechanically fixing it anyway?

Hi,

I could strap the insulation board in place inbetween the C section studs if that would work.

The only other way I can think of putting a backing plasterboard on to hold the insulation in place would be to attached the backing plasterboard to the C section up rights first, then lift it in place and secure the C section stud to the track?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back