Insulation on garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

In the near future I'm going to be studding out half my garage for use as a fish-room. Probably sounds extremely odd to you lot, but it's to store my fish tanks in and coral breeding setups.

As a result I need the temperature in there to be pretty stable. I've seen a variety of methods used, including polystyrene, rockwool and cellotext/kingspan.

The garage is single brick construction and as I'm boarding to halfway I haven't got to worry about the front door as the stud wall will counter this. I do have a personal side door and window which I'll be replacing with double glazed units.

My question is what is the best method, on a budget, to insulate the garage in such a way that temperature will be relatively stable throughout the seasons. The environment is likely to be quite damp and humid so a couple of large extractors on a humidity controller will be used to combat this.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
My question is what is the best method, on a budget, to insulate the garage in such a way that temperature will be relatively stable throughout the seasons.

The best method on a budget would be to use glasswool insulation bought from B&Q as it is only £3 a roll.

However, this method would take up the most room as you need a heck of a thickness for it to be any good.

The best method regards saving space is to use foam board insulation i.e. celotex, kingspan, quintherm etc as these offer the greatest thermal resistance for their size or thickness. The downside is they are relatively expensive.

Your other headache is that humidity is going to be a factor especially in the winter. So, if you don't build it robustly, i.e. full spec insulation, breather membrane and/or venting, sheathing, VCL etc, then you will certainly have condensation issues coupled with black spot mould and rot.

Hi noseall,

Thanks for the reply. What would you do if it were you to combat the condensation issues? I was thinking that a couple of extractor fans would suffice, but you don't think so?

What mm of kingspan etc would I need so I can work out my studs.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back