Insulation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just doing a large refit of our new house and I have a few insulation questions.

The house is solid walled and needs some insulating which I will be doing inside. My main worry is creating condensation where it shouldn't be by not doing it properly.

I am currently on the bathroom/kitchen and i have a few plans.

The bathroom is the room I am working on but the kitchen will also need doing when we refit it so I want to make sure I don't have to redo anything when I get to it.

My current plan is to add insulated plasterboard to the somewhat uneven external brick walls (no render on them anymore) most of which I am ok with but there are 2 options available.

1. Just insulate the bathroom after the floor has been finally fitted.

2. insulate the bathroom and then continue the plasterboard through the floor void into the kitchen, (i.e do the whole external wall) then fit the floor and kitchen ceiling up to the plasterboard wall lining this also insulating the floor void.

my main thoughts are about fire regs doing this and also what do I do about the floor joists where the rest in the external wall, I am aware that these will become the coldest spot, can I just fill with foam to seal, will this stop condensation?

I obviously want to insulate as much as possible while I have no floor ceiling what are the best options?

cheers

Sponsored Links
There's not much point in insulating the wall between the floor joists - it won't cause any condensation issues

I have taken down all of my downstairs ceilings and insulated then doubled boarded the ceilings, the difference in heat is unbelievable.

I also have 400mm loft insulation in the loft.

Andy

Thanks thats good to know, out of interest what insulation did you use? what did you do about the bit where the joists meet the wall?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Loft insulation was from wickes, I cut the rolls 20mm thicker to fit snugly between the joists, I ran from wall to wall. I cut the insulation while it was still wrapped up. Then once pushed into the joists I covered the joists with a polythene sheet that I stapled to the joists to make sure the insulation didn't fall out/down.

Then doubled boarded with 12mm plastered board and plastered.

Andy

Presumably that also makes for better sound insulation for the bedrooms?

It is much quieter now, I can't hear the kids fighting upstairs now!

Also I can watch tv without it waking them up in the evening.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back