Insulation regulations on change of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am hoping to buy a new house in norfolk.
The house house has a shop attached and I am hoping to change the usage into a dwelling to live in while my extended family lives in the main house.

The shop is a double skin construction but I have no idea how thick the cavity is.
The floor is tiled and I have no idea if the floor is insulated but I assume it isn't and I know the ceiling is not insulated (flat roof).

My question is if I want to change the usage to a dwelling do I have to insulate the walls and floor and ceiling and if so how thick does the insulation need to be.

Sponsored Links
You will need to conform to all the building regulations for dwellings. Part L1b will define insulation requirements, and the thickness will depend on several factors but mainly the type of insulation used.

I think that A1 to C3 can be done under permitted development - subject to the prior approval process, so you should only be required to meet part L1B requirements for residential change of use.

Sponsored Links
I think that A1 to C3 can be done under permitted development - subject to the prior approval process, so you should only be required to meet part L1B requirements for residential change of use.

I like this concoction of planning and building regulations that you have in your world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back