Insulation resistance test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tested an old installation and got minimum reading of 3.4 Megaohms . It is still acceptable. But what you guys recommend , should i rewire the house or is it ok ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Silly question, but Is absolutely everything isolated?
Items such as USB charging sockets don't allways take well to a 500V insulation test! :)

I tested an old installation and got minimum reading of 3.4 Megaohms . It is still acceptable. But what you guys recommend , should i rewire the house or is it ok ?
As you say, in conventional/formal terms it is 'acceptable'.

Assuming that we are talking about PVC cables, it surely is incredibly unlikely, even if (and it's probably very unlikely) the finite measured IR is due to cable(s), that it would be a generalised problem due to deterioration of all the cables. To contemplate a "re-wire" would therefore seem to be way OTT, and unnecessary - if you are concerned, you should surely investigate the situation further in order to narrow down the cause of the 'low' IR to a particular cable (or, at least, particular circuit or part of circuit) and then address just that, shouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it were my installation I'd start with a visual inspection, for example after I bought my current place* I found the installation consisted mostly of old rubber and horrible bodges, so I didn't need tests to tell me it needed an almost complete(* rewire.

If the installation looks/feels like plastic-insulated cable installed in a sane manner then I'd want to break down the installation until I found the cause of the low IR. While it's not impossible that it turns out to be a general problem spread across the whole install, it's IMO far more likely to be spot problems that can be fixed without the massive upheaval of a rewire.

* I knew there was old rubber and horrible bodges before I bought the place, but I didn't know how much until I bought the place and was able to start dismantling.
** I kept the bathroom wiring which had been done as part of a fairly recent bathroom adaptation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back