Complete rewire needed, so says the sparky

Sponsored Links
The circuit with the fault is going to be tricky one to solve, I have an alternative electrician who I hope is going to be prepared to work at it, instead of just declaring the whole system dead.

In the meanwhile, however, I want to get the paperwork honest and in line with the electricians codes of practice, rather than what I have now, which is an exaggeration to try to force my hand.

If I've shelled out all that money on a condition report (which I never really wanted in the first place), then I want it to be right.

In the meanwhile, however, I want to get the paperwork honest and in line with the electricians codes of practice,
Maybe it is.

Nobody who has not been to see the installation can say with any certainty that it is not.

rather than what I have now, which is an exaggeration to try to force my hand.
Maybe it is not.

Nobody who has not been to see the installation can say with any certainty that it is.

If I've shelled out all that money on a condition report (which I never really wanted in the first place), then I want it to be right.
Maybe it is.

Nobody who has not been to see the installation can say with any certainty that it is not.

Sponsored Links
You would not need to visit the site to know whether "not having a BS7176 CU", is a C2 or C3.
A defective fusebox could be C2 or C3, or even C1 in some circumstances.

If you want further advice on it, or the rest of the installation, post some pictures of the fusebox, meter and surrounding area, and anything else which could indicate the condition of the installation.

The fuse box is not defective. It's just not BS7671 compliant, no problem has been found with it.

We still don't know what that means. My consumer unit complies with bs7671. It also does not comply with bs7671.

The 1M ohm requirement is a bit old hat, but I'm not sure how you can code against it? If the least serious code is a C3, and that is for something which is non-compliant with current regulations, how can you give a C2 to something which is?

Agreed it's a sure sign something's not right, but the OP already knows that! You can always write it without a code or elsewhere.

The electrician should have spent the time being productive and checking the relevant connection points of the circuit rather than half-baked testing of the entire installation. Unless every leg on the circuit is exhibiting the same characteristic I'd say this guy ain't very good at fault finding.

Right, but according to Electrical installation condition reporting: Classification Codes for domestic and similar electrical installations http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File5634.pdf

Code C3 (Improvement recommended)

Observations that would usually warrant a Code C3

classification include:

• Absence of RCD protection for a socket-outlet that is unlikely to supply portable or mobile equipment for use outdoors, does not serve a location containing a bath or shower, and the use of which is otherwise not considered by the inspector to result in potential danger.

(Note: Code C2 would apply if the circuit supplied a socket-outlet in a location
containing a bath or shower in accordance with Regulation 701.512.3)

So, unless the CU has a fault, or there is another reason such as the bathroom case in the citation, surely to give this a C2 is just not a correct assessment?

He probably forgot you have a flat. There's other examples of code deviation out there though so we need pictures to decide what he was thinking.

It's very difficult unless we know what the non-compliant C2 on the board was for. That's a poorly written EICR IMHO and the answer too generic. He may as well just write C2 "potentially dangerous install" covering the whole lot and leave it at that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back