Insulation resistance test

Sponsored Links
Re -read Tim.

I am happy with L+N to E on in-accessible fittings, but do not be surprised to get surpisingly low readings....

I would not bother trying to remove starters on fittings that are high in the sky.......and what happens to the cap that is directly across L to N?

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
Re -read Tim.

I am happy with L+N to E on in-accessible fittings, but do not be surprised to get surpisingly low readings....

I would not bother trying to remove starters on fittings that are high in the sky.......and what happens to the cap that is directly across L to N?
Why would i get low readings to earth? unless there is a problem?

you need to remove the starter otherwise you will get low readings due to the resistance inside

The PF capacitor shouldn't be a problem once fully charged by the DC test voltage it will not allow DC current to pass ie it will look like an insulator.

I could be wrong but im sure i have read somewhere that if carrying out an PIR then the regs state if the fittings are inaccessible then you can just test up to the switch with the switch off which isolate the fittings

Can anyone confirm this ?

G.T.S :cool:

Lectrician said:
tim west said:
Lectrician, i'm not questioning your abilities just trying to clarify the issue, take a look here:

http://www.rsc-northwest.ac.uk/curr...tion/myweb3/insulation_resistance.htm[/QUOTE]

Look at what exactly?

Have you ever tested before or are you simply talking the test?

Several chokes will inevitably give you a low reading to earth - I am not saying a fail type reading, but a low reading.
The above link

Of course as an Electrician myself, talking not sure what you mean?

Depends on what your definition of "shocking readings" were, if not failure readings then what was the problem you were trying to get at?
If the "low reading" was within the stated limits and passed then no problem.

RF lighting wrote

hire a scissor lifter

Get one of these.

Telescopiclift.gif

I had an apprentice go up the exterior face of a multi storey new build once in one of these. (about 70 feet and overloaded to the gills with welding gear)
He was keen to operate the machine so I thought why not. :cool:
Off he went and I legged it up to the fifth floor awaiting his arrival.
We were feeling a bit lazy as the lifts were not operational and 10 flights of stairs seemed a long way to carry two 80kg bottles of gas.
When he reached the fifth floor where I was standing I noticed him a litttle nervous and so I reached out through the unglazed window frame and gave it a good shove. (As you do)
You should have seen him go white in the gills and grip the frame when it swayed about 10 feet from the side of the building. :LOL: :LOL: It was hilarious.
When it came back in I reached for it again but this time the apprentice had a hammer in his hand which he some how managed to pick up and almost busted my fingers as I tried in vain to grab the rail and give it a second shove. :(

Not funny Balenza, some MEWPS can have as little as 2Kg side loading limits when extended, with the extra weight you mentioned contributing to the sideways motion you may well have killed him.
And i'm sure you realise after having done the training before using it that the platform is not to be used as a material lift.

Yeah I guess. I can still see the look on that apprentices face. :LOL:
I wasn't expecting it to go out as far. I think mebbe the wheels were a wee bit soft . :(
It was after hours on the site as I knew enough not to try a stunt like this with the guvnor's around or it would be pack up your tools time.
I dont have any training for these lifts hence the reason why we waited till the guvnor's went home. :)

Balenza said:
I wasn't expecting it to go out as far. I think mebbe the wheels were a wee bit soft . :(
It was after hours on the site as I knew enough not to try a stunt like this with the guvnor's around or it would be pack up your tools time.
I dont have any training for these lifts hence the reason why we waited till the guvnor's went home. :)
Your guvnor's should be locked up for leaving the key with it.

Gaz the Sparky said:
I could be wrong but im sure i have read somewhere that if carrying out an PIR then the regs state if the fittings are inaccessible then you can just test up to the switch with the switch off which isolate the fittings

Can anyone confirm this ?

G.T.S :cool:

Yeah, I have read the same. I can see it working OK with an incandescent light fitting (providing the lamp is intact), though I don't think it would work as such with discharge lighting though I may be wrong.

Balenza said:

The wheels in an MEWP should never be soft, they should be foam filled and have bolts put through the tyres to prove they are. One of our rules was that an operator must always wear a harness with a fixed lanyard attached to an anchor point as someone on site was once killed by a lorry striking the base of an MEWP catapulting the person from the basket. MEWPs are dangerous things, they must not be used by inexperienced persons and certainly not for horse play.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back