Insulation resistance

Softus that's the one I bought a year ago, off ebay for £600 (new with callibration certificate). Is now away being callibrated for £50 but they've had it for two weeks already (they also have my gas analyser) and not heard hide nore hare out of them (despite frequent emails to them, accept that they have acknowledged receipt, full feedback regarding the service or lack of on the plumbing forum when th eissue is comcluded). Whereas an offshoot of Megger themselves do a fast turnaround via CEF for £140. I tried the cheap option and it has been proved wanting so far, who knows they may yet break my equipment. Even Ferraris break down.

The mft's work fine except on the low ohms test where a single lo ohms tester (continuity tester) is more sensetive. This is not an issue in the field, it's just that in assessment centres where you can reach each end of the cable without even stretching all the continuity tests yield 0 ohms, so little r1 and little r2 are useless information. Yet the guys using specific continuity testers seem to get a variation. On the job this difference is meaningless. The test centres are badly set up, they should at least use two floors to try and recreate some sense of realism and put some fualts on that are less obvious too. They are so easy to find you could be forgiven for thinking the job is a doddle. Something equating to manufacturers training on boilers where you fly through all the faults they put on, but when you go back into the real world you are scratching your head.

On the plus side most modern mft's don't trip rcd's during the ze test.

For our use an mft is perfectly adequate.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
That cable doesn't look like flat T&E?

For a new installation, can the OP tell us, what type of cable is it?

Jaymack

securespark said:
To me, perhaps naively, it's just the flash shadow making it look unlike flat T&E.

Jaymack said:
securespark said:

For a new installation, can the OP tell us, what type of cable is it?

Jaymack

I'm not quite sure what the cable type has got to with this?

Softus, As your not filling out test certs you don't need a fancy insulation tester or a certificate of calibration. All you need to know is whether the cable has been damaged or not. New cabling should always be off the scale and anything less is a sign of a problem

Sponsored Links
Hi all

Something of a fuzzy head this morning, bit too much celebrating after the footie last night.

Re the comments, Softus had the answer, bog standard 2.5 T&E. On testers I agree with Paul's comments. When I was researching for a new instrument a couple of months back, including a lot of useful help on this site I arrived at the conclusion that the Megger was the way to go. I'm quite ancient enough to have started out with AVO 7's, and they were always the Rolls Royce of meters then. In the end I got the MFT1552, which I am completely happy with, easy to use, seems robust enough for site work, probably a good enough back up service if needed, and the auto RCD test is a joy. I got it from CEF at a ridiculously low price so I was well pleased, my local branch are having a calibration afternoon soon, MTi Calibration seem to be the associated company and they'll do it for £65, a special no doubt. I gather that you can get CEF to arrange a recal in 48 hours normally.

Regards
Martin

This post also highlights the importance of when you test. It's very common to carry out the first fix and then not test until the job is very near completion. In this case Martin tested the installation very early on making the repair a simple operation. If the walls had been plastered or tiled this would have been a different story.

I realise that I've hijacked this slightly, so thanks to TTC, Paul Barker, Pensdown and martin43 for the help and advice.

I'm not sure your post would be classed as hijacking. As Dingbat said, it would be nice if we all had a better understanding of each others trades.

In the ideal world.

Nail-gun man says "hey Martin, I noticed quite a few cables behind the last board I gunned up so just incase I've hit one could you carry out an IR test just to make sure they're OK" :eek:

Yup - I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I tend to get on well with electricians because they/you have a numerate outlook and are hot on safety.

Mind you, my hackles rise when I hear any whining about bonding plastic pipework, but that's another subject that's subject to a lot of contraversy. And that would be a hijack!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back