Insulation under wall foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm involved in building a below ground swimming pool. The drawings show a concrete slab over 100mm Jabfloor and 1.2mtre walls of 225mm flat laid concrete blocks built off the slab My question is if it's OK to do this with the jab under the wall, will it support the weight? Any answers please?

Sponsored Links
Surely your design drawing, particularly given that this is very structurally specific and subterranean, shows detailed scale section drawings?

My guess is that this slab would be designed similar in principle to a raft whereby the wall bearing part of the concrete is thickened and tied into the slab with rebar etc.

In answer to your question - no, you would not have insulation beneath a load bearing wall. Ask the SE for more details.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Noseall, I appreciate it. I'll get back to the pool people.

Sponsored Links
Actually you can build all kinds of things on top of polystyrene insulation included motorways and embankments but check its been designed and that the insulation used is the correct grade ( density) though as mentioned building a homogeneous tank base and walls I can see but a slab with independent masonry walls seems a little surprising.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back