insulation v cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, i am having a kitchen built and the timber wall has been insulated with 100mm loft lagging, my spark is leaving it to me to run the cables but before i start is it ok to run the cables over the lagging? will this generate heat considering it will be covered in plywood then plasterboard? i know it depends on what is being used but was wondering for safety sake, should i remove the lagging from where the cooker cable is going to be just in case?
thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Not enough information.

Ask your spark.

He will have to sign the certificates to say it is installed in accordance with 7671 anyhow, so best get it right.

So has the electrician who used to always be on holiday now returned, and embarked on a life of signing certificates for people who he has left to their own devices for designing and constructing installations?

lol, its my neighbours son, im like everyone else, trying to save a pound or two, so i spend time putting in cables its only my time, not his, why is it against regs for someone other than a qualified spark to put cables in?
i asked him to cast an eye over what i have/will put in before the boards go up and then he will finish connections etc

Sponsored Links
It's not, but if you choose and install the cables, who will sign these declarations:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

I being the person responsible for the construction of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the construction hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

?

And if the work is notifiable, who is going to self-certify to Building Control that the work they did complied with the Building Regulations?

Ask your spark.

He will have to sign the certificates to say it is installed in accordance with 7671 anyhow, so best get it right.
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

HE choose the cable for me to buy, HE advised me which route for the cables to take, HE will check it before the boards go on, HE will make all final connections and test, i am not a spark, its my house my job, i put the cables in to save ME money so i can afford other things on this build, its a kitchen from the ground up, footings, everything, plumber is coming around tonight to advise on CH for my house, a carpenter has done the timberwork and will fit the kitchen, a structural engineer sorted out the rsj needed between rooms, i pay for the proper tradesman when needed and follow regs even when im doing it, i even have 300mm wide foundation blocks for the footings!
why does every 'tradesman' on forums think you are a bodge bloke just because you are asking questions on certain subjects. :evil:
toys out the pram is right!!!!!

HE advised me which route for the cables to take
Clearly he did not do so properly, for if he had you would not be asking about the route.

The installation method of the cables affects their current carrying capacity, and is therefore intrinsically linked to the design of the circuit. Your electrician is the only one who can advise you on the route.

HE advised me which route for the cables to take
Clearly he did not do so properly, for if he had you would not be asking about the route.

The installation method of the cables affects their current carrying capacity, and is therefore intrinsically linked to the design of the circuit. Your electrician is the only one who can advise you on the route.
please read OP, where was i asking about the route??? i was asking about the insulation that has been put inbetween the timber framework which wasnt in when he advised me where to put the cables, please check OP. i didnt want to ring him up on what seemed at first a straightforward question. ':rolleyes:'

and i dont think he is back from his holidays lol

please read OP,
I did.

where was i asking about the route???
Here:
is it ok to run the cables over the lagging?

i was asking about the insulation that has been put inbetween the timber framework which wasnt in when he advised me where to put the cables,
So the insulation is a relevant factor which will apply to the route of the cables.

And if the insulation wasn't there, and not predicted, when the electrician sized the cables then the size might now be wrong.

You need to discuss it with him.

please check OP. i didnt want to ring him up on what seemed at first a straightforward question. ':rolleyes:'
If you get a copy of the Wiring Regulations you'll find the info regarding derating cables in the presence of thermal insulation.

and i dont think he is back from his holidays lol
Then you'll have to wait until he is.

an amazon link? really? not even a gov.uk or relevant regulations website?

wow that post must have taken a while to sort out,

over 47,000 posts in 11 years

you need the last word on everything dont you ?!? lol

so go on knock yourself out

reply to this

i wont post a reply

promise

i will contact my spark

seriously i wont post after you

enjoy

an amazon link? really? not even a gov.uk or relevant regulations website?
It's cheaper on Amazon. Cheaper still on Ebay.

Pay more if you wish:
http://electrical.theiet.org/books/regulations/17th-edition-amd1.cfm

wow that post must have taken a while to sort out,
over 47,000 posts in 11 years
you need the last word on everything dont you ?!? lol
He never argues on his own.

i will contact my spark
Good. That's wise.

seriously i wont post after you
Too late.

We'll see if he can resist.

hello, i am having a kitchen built and the timber wall has been insulated with 100mm loft lagging
Electrical issues aside, an external wall with 100mm of 'loft lagging' in it will be woefully inadequate, and could not possibly comply with building regulations.

since he hasnt posted....lol

i also have 70mm kooltherm slab in the 100mm cavity between the timber frame and the blockwork outside skin, so insulation isnt an issue

so 100mm in timber frame
70mm kooltherm in cavity
which leaves 30mm air gap between kooltherm and block work

spark contacted, work done, signed off, happy days :D
thx to all who contributed useful info

spark contacted, work done, signed off, happy days :D
So that will be

1) spark contacted
then
2) work done
then
3) work signed off

thx to all who contributed useful info
So that will be the people who told you you needed to contact your electrician.

Ask your spark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back