insulation values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks i understand building regs requires about 270mm of loft insulation.

my question is what is the U value for this and what thickness of kingspan would we need to achieve the same U value.

cheers jon

Sponsored Links
No its not a new build it is for an extension to the side of our house

Sponsored Links
You should aim for 0.18W/m2K for a flat roof or a pitched roof where the insulation is installed at rafter level. Insulating a pitch at ceiling level rather than rafter level actually carries more stringent levels (0.16W/m2K)

The exact thickness of insulation will depend on the necessary product for your roof and this is also affected by the construction and materials!

However, Kingspan have a really good technical helpline that will help you work out exactly which (or their) products will be most suitable for your application, I suggest you check out their website for contact details and then fire off an e-mail or get on the phone.

As a shot from the hip, making presumptions for a pitched roof with tiles and no sarking board I'd say that you are looking at something in the order of 75mm K7 board between the rafters with 62mm K18 plasterboard fixed to the underside of rafters...

Use U-values as the last post.

Celotex have an on line U-value calculator. Just type 'Celotex U-value calculator' into google and it will work it out for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back