How much insulation goes into new loft extensions or new builds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious to know how much insulation goes in the loft of new builds or even loft extensions. Forget about what u values you want to achieve, just want to know what is the norm these days.

Sponsored Links
Well on a new build its what is specified in the build drawings and the same goes for extensions. If its not under building control then most probably anything between nothing a 300mm depending what you are doing or who is doing it.

Wow - so I thought 100mm was good (board type). Is even 150mm considered below average?

Sponsored Links
Ok and I agree with mineral wool type yes, we will have 270mm in the flat section. I meant the sloping section of the roof using board insulation.

Ok and I agree with mineral wool type yes, we will have 270mm in the flat section. I meant the sloping section of the roof using board insulation.

Most probably 120-130mm of The roofing type of board (there are different spec of boards) then to meet regs for U value, of if no U value then what ever you can get to fit that allows ventilation still

It depends on the insulation type, the average u values of the rest of the build and the elimination of thermal bridges.

So "how much insulation" is unanswerable.

for a conversion 90mm between with 50mm below the rafters would be about right for a pitched roof or as suggested about 150mm between.
more for a new build as the u-value requirement is higher.
Reesey 70mm between with tri-iso 10 would probably leave you a bit short, but you would have to speak with BC, they may let you away with that.
BC where I am require 90mm between and tri-iso under the rafters, but the height saving is zero. tri-iso 10 is 30mm thick so by the time you have battened over it, you may have used 12.5mm bonded to 50mm rigid insulation

Forget multi foils. To be anywhere near effective (if that's even possible?) they need to be suspended in clear air gaps both sides. That's difficult to achieve in practice and in fact is rarely achieved meaning most multi foil insulation is just expensive bubble wrap. A 50-60mm layer of pir foam is far better, easier to fix, cheaper and will take less space.

[QUOTE=". And the 2 layer will provide me with the 0.18 required and a lot quicker to install.[/QUOTE]

So just how are you going to create the clear, sealed air-spaces either side of the multi-foil and do this
[QUOTE=" a lot quicker .[/QUOTE] ?

Has superquilt got BBA certification now, and do all building control depts now accept it?

I suspect that there are reasons why a manufacturer would make a convincing video, and say that it meets all regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back