Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fully comp on my van and my mate wants to lend my van, he is fully comp on his van but it was stolen, so he wanted to use my van for the weekend. I will ring my insurance before the weekend but we are both under the impresion with my consent he can use my van, am i right?

Sponsored Links
he cant get done for theft with your consent, but as for insurance, best ask insurance co

This first depends on who is covered by your policy jb. For example if your policy only covers you as the named driver then he wil either need to be added to your policy or rely on his own insurance.
If he is not covered by your policy then his own insurance will only cover him if his policy specifically allows driving of other vehicles. This cover will be likely to be third party only even if he has fully comp.

As breezer says, besk ask insurance co.

I am fully comp on my van and my mate wants to lend my van, he is fully comp on his van but it was stolen, so he wanted to use my van for the weekend. I will ring my insurance before the weekend but we are both under the impresion with my consent he can use my van, am i right?

Not wishing to be pedantic, but he will not be covered for "lending" your van, however he may be covered on his own insurance if he, with your permission, borrows your van.

Sponsored Links
He may well be covered under his own policy as the van will not be owned or hired by him.
However the cover is likely to only be 3rd party.

check with your own insurance co before lending it, do not just take the word of anyone else.

cheers, it makes sense his own insurance should cover him, spoken to him and hes gonna ring them.

It should say on his insurance documents if he is covered for driving other peoples vehicles, not all policies allow this.

private cars - yes.
commercial vehicles - no.
Not so clear as this as it depends on your policy ... Check with your insurers.

As has already been said though your friend will almost certainly be driving 3rd party if he is covered at all.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back