Integral Garage Access from Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well - I guess this isn't the most opted for route... I am reorganising the layout of my property - and all things taken into account this would make for the easiest solution. However I wondered if there are any regulations that prohibit access to an integral garage / workshop from a bedroom?

Sponsored Links
Not as long as there is a 30 minute fire door/frame with self-closer between the bedroom and garage, and a 100 step or equivalent to stop spillage entering the house.

Thanks Tony :)

There is a 150mm drop between what would be the bedroom floor down to the existing garage floor so that would pass. A 30 minute door / frame with self-closer is no problem. I found there are regulations banning access from a bedroom in the US - but couldn't find anything equivalent for the UK hence my posing the question.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I should have elaborated on the layout / access etc. The bedroom would be an inner room and would be lit by a large skylight. The bedroom would have two access routes / doors - one via the garage and one via the living room. The garage would obviously have it's door to outside and the living room would have patio doors to the outside providing two means of escape. Would this comply? Also would the bedroom be classed as an inner room given there are two escape routes?

I've enclosed a plan to illustrate.

Thanks again

Last edited:
You will have an inner room - a high risk bedroom, with the only escape routes through other very high risk rooms!

As is, it would be unacceptable, and you will need an escape window or a suitable fire detection and suppression system.

Would that necessarily be prohibited? An inner room is defined as one 'from which escape is possible only by passing through another room[the access room]'.
In this case, there could be two access rooms; what's the likelihood of there being a fire in both the garage and the lounge at the same time?

From an inner habitable room you either need two ways out, or a protected route. I don't know if the garage would be an escape route without a door you can open from inside.

what's the likelihood of there being a fire in both the garage and the lounge at the same time?

Probably less than the chance of him half-waking up from a slumber and not knowing what door to open, and then opening the wrong one.

It does not matter how many doors he has if they all lead to other rooms, and not direct escape routes.

Could you create a utility room at the end of the garage and then add an external door from the utility room.

change.jpg

Just realized - that arrangement would NOT be allowed as there is no escape window in the bedroom
Scan0106.jpg

Tony that's a good point, however on closer thought that wouldn't make sense on it's own, actually reading the text, this isn't classed as an inner room because it has two escape routers whereas that text says there is only one. "Only escape route is Through another room" whereas in this case it's "only escape routes are through other rooms"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back