Integral garage - plasterboard ceiling access hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bathroom is directly above an integral garage. I recently completely refitted the bathroom and removed the plasterboard ceiling in the garage to complete all of the plumbing and drainage from below (which I had to do to gain access to the drains etc). I now intend to refit the garage ceiling using double thickness plasterboard for fire regs etc. However, I need to fit a small access hatch for the shower trap (as I fitted a low profile tray directly onto the floor) and was wondering how best to do this to comply with the relevant regs? Do I need to buy a fire rated panel (which are pretty expensive), or can I just make a double thickness plasterboard panel fixed on with plasterboard screws?

Thanks,
Graham

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you need to sort out how to seal or cover the joint around the hatch/cover

Would an intumescent strip like you sometimes see set into the edge of fire doors do the trick?

If the hatch and strip were set in a subframe like a normal door arrangement, can't see why that wouldn't work.

Sponsored Links
Yes door int.strip swill do, but its the installation as a whole which matters, so it's the actual hatch, the frame and the seal. And the hatch must be suitably fixed, not just plonked into the frame.

I've just fitted the same type of shower base, it does look so much better than a raised one doesn't it !

I bought a top access waste to save the hassle of having to fit an access door. It was only a couple of £ more than a standard type. Compared to the cost of buying or making a fire retardant hatch it is well worth it I think. :D

scroll%20of%20resurrection.jpg

No worries, I wasn't offended just going along with it with my response. Thought his quick reply of such an elaborate post very funny actually
I did fell a bit daft responding to such an old thread anyway ! :LOL:

I think that was excellent BAS - I have saved that image for later use myself. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back