Integrated Fridge Door Hinge Replaced But Still Slack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!
I have a 10 year old kitchen from MFI and the fridge lower left door hinge spring has broken. Frig=dge is not marked but looks a bit like an indesit.

To confuse things further my neighbour had a similar failure but his door was hinged on the right. He bought a pair of right hand hinges but didn't need his top hinge and sold it to me as a left hand bottom hinge.

I fitted it and it went on a treat but the door slowly swings to within 2" of shut but hasn't got the strength to close.

Are upper R/H hinges interchangable with lower L/H hinges and why won't my door close quicker and stronger?
The girls on the indesit parts line just recite "have you got the part No?"

Please help me as I don't know who to talk to.

Sponsored Links
MFI did use the same hinges as Indesit (may even have been customer versions)

I always replace the hinges in pairs as when one goes it is not unusual to find the other has fractured as well. Did the hinge snap shut ok before you fitted it Have you adjusted the hinges at all, is the door outer catching anywhere.

Thanks for reply Leccy. The new lower hinge snapped shut very well before I fitted it, nearly took my bloody finger off! The top hinge just about closes the door but leaves it 1" open if you're not careful. There are no obvious things catching the door on it's way closing. When I fitted the bottom hinge I kept the door attached to the fridge by the top hinge in order not to get it all skew wif. I just assumed the hinge I've used isn't correct??? As I said, it was a top right hinge which my mate bought as a pair for his fridge but didn't need and I was trying to use it as a bottom left hinge on my fridge. Could that be a problem or are they completely compatible as they look identical and have this ING Co or something similar on both hinges.
Thanks again mate.
Rude 'Ol

Some are sided but its been well over a year since I done one.

The last ones I did do though I had to saw off a lug that protruded slightly preventing the hinge from fitting flush. The rest of the hinge was identical. (took us a while to identify the mfi hinges and find they were near identical to some indesit ones)

The easiest way to check is to put both hinges side by side and look at them for differences.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back