Integrated fridge moving when opening door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Not sure what to do here. So I've gotten an integrated fridge from currys and we opt'd to have them install it since i've never been behind an integrated unit before so was concerned about causing more harm than good! The guy came out, Long story short... in order for him to get the fridge to 99% sit flush with the freezer that was already installed, he had to have the feet at the back of the fridge be down a bit and the front legs sit higher so the fridge is effectively tilted back. We're fine with this as I'm sure the old one was sitting like that too we just didn't notice it perhaps.

The problem we faced during install is that when you open the fridge door, the whole fridge moves forward with it. The guy said we normally would push these fridges up against the counter by making the legs really high however, when we do this, the door "clips" the sides and isn't smooth which will damage over time so he is not prepared to do that due to their liability nor do we want that. The second option is to drill the fridge using metal L plates, we cannot do this either because the counter is marble. This means we're forced to have a "moving fridge". His solution was that we get sealant and put sealant around the top part where the fridge meets the counter to "secure it" in place. I get the feeling giving how much force is requried to open the fridge, that the sealant will just come away and not hold it in place... so I'm asking do we put Sealant on there, or can I use this Gorilla sealant that apparently is very very strong and will hold anything to anything such as my fridge to the counter?

Lastly, would it be better to use the Sealant on the lets of the fridge rather than the tops? or even the Gorilla sealant on the legs instead of the top? or is the top the best place? or is there a better solution overall as we dont really want to do anything like this if it can be helpd?

Sponsored Links
Our integrated Bosch fridge and freezer have clips that fit to each appliance & screw to the base of the cupboard. Were there any parts left at the end of the installation & have you looked at the installation instructions to ensure it was installed properly. Google your make & model if the installer has not left the paperwork with you. Does not sound as though it has been done correctly to me. Slapping sealant all over does not sound like a very professional solution to me.

Our integrated Bosch fridge and freezer have clips that fit to each appliance & screw to the base of the cupboard. Were there any parts left at the end of the installation & have you looked at the installation instructions to ensure it was installed properly. Google your make & model if the installer has not left the paperwork with you. Does not sound as though it has been done correctly to me. Slapping sealant all over does not sound like a very professional solution to me.
He said to me that it is normally installed using these metal L plate bracket things and he had it there in his hand so I assume it came with the appliance, and he explained because it's marble we cannot drill into that. Nor could they do the "push it to the top" trick either. So I'm not sure what option we have at this stage. I've only just moved in and I have no idea if this counter is truely marble or he just made that up to not have to drill the counter... (aka, lazy/cutting corners)... I wonder if there's a way to find out... and then I'll know. I can see that the other units (as in the actual cupboards and so on below the counter have not been screwed into the counter though. I will need to check again but so far I've only seen some kind of clear fluid holding the cabinets to the counter or vice versa it looks like maybe clear sealant or glue.

Would the counter have any clear indication somewhere if it's marble or granite or something else?

Sponsored Links
What sort of floor is the fridge on? Could you screw brackets into that to stop the legs moving?

What sort of floor is the fridge on? Could you screw brackets into that to stop the legs moving?
The floor is tiles, and if we lower the legs down so the fridge base could reach the floor, unfortunately the plinth would get in the way and prevent it from being lowered down that far :( I did wonder that though. Maybe drill the feet itself into the floor but never drilled into a tile before so bit worried it will break/crack :eek:

Once work is over I'm gonna have a look around all the other units and see if at any stage anything was drilled into the counter because I vaguely remember seeing something in there... I'm assuming the guy was right about drilling into marble then? you can't do that as it would crack etc?

I asked for a picture because I had a washing machine that used to dance around the kitchen until we screwed a thin batten to the floor to prevent it coming forward.
To drill tiles use a masonry drill very slowly until you are through the ceramic.

What about fixing the fridge to the freezer with brackets from the back where it wont show.

You could also try the brackets they use for gas ovens to prevent them tipping.

Or opposing wooden wedges between the top of the fridge and marble top, dont hammer it in just use hand force to push it into the gap.

Or one of those super duper tube adhesives to fix the L brackets to the underside of the marble counter, then once set screw into the fridge.

Araldite will stick metal to granite/quartz/whatever and can be lightly handled after 2 hours.

Sealant is not the 'proper' way to fit and appliance.

Is this fridge fitting in a cupboard or slotting into a space under the worktop?

I asked for a picture because I had a washing machine that used to dance around the kitchen until we screwed a thin batten to the floor to prevent it coming forward.
To drill tiles use a masonry drill very slowly until you are through the ceramic.

What about fixing the fridge to the freezer with brackets from the back where it wont show.

You could also try the brackets they use for gas ovens to prevent them tipping.

Or opposing wooden wedges between the top of the fridge and marble top, dont hammer it in just use hand force to push it into the gap.

Or one of those super duper tube adhesives to fix the L brackets to the underside of the marble counter, then once set screw into the fridge.
Thank you these ideas are great. I ilke the fixing the bracket to the counter using glue and then screewing that into the appliance. Since the currys install man has to come back I might ask him to do the screwing into the fridge part as I'm not sure exactly where to screw that and I don't wanna damage it! but that seems the most viable. I can't do some of the others due to various issues but this one seems doable!

Araldite will stick metal to granite/quartz/whatever and can be lightly handled after 2 hours.

Sealant is not the 'proper' way to fit and appliance.

Is this fridge fitting in a cupboard or slotting into a space under the worktop?
Thank you, I think this might be our plan B if the bracket option doesn't work out. I have to ask, is the Araldite the same/a lot like Gorilla Heavty Duty - Grab Anything Adhesive as I bought this as it looked like it can stick anything to anything and was very stuff. Apparently you need a chisel to get it off... lol.
The fridge is on the ground/tiles under the worktop yeah.

Thank you these ideas are great. I ilke the fixing the bracket to the counter using glue and then screewing that into the appliance. Since the currys install man has to come back I might ask him to do the screwing into the fridge part as I'm not sure exactly where to screw that and I don't wanna damage it! but that seems the most viable. I can't do some of the others due to various issues but this one seems doable!

Thank you, I think this might be our plan B if the bracket option doesn't work out. I have to ask, is the Araldite the same/a lot like Gorilla Heavty Duty - Grab Anything Adhesive as I bought this as it looked like it can stick anything to anything and was very stuff. Apparently you need a chisel to get it off... lol.
The fridge is on the ground/tiles under the worktop yeah.
This does not sound to me like an integrated appliance installation which normally means installing into a cabinet. A few pictures might give a better idea of what is required ( doors of both appliances open & closed & surrounding cabinets ). I don't think permanently glueing things into place that might hinder removal for later maintenance would be a good idea.

This does not sound to me like an integrated appliance installation which normally means installing into a cabinet. A few pictures might give a better idea of what is required ( doors of both appliances open & closed & surrounding cabinets ). I don't think permanently glueing things into place that might hinder removal for later maintenance would be a good idea.
Hi sorry I should have also mentioned that yes prior to the install the old fridge was slightly shorter and it was sitting on a shelf. The shelf was essentially part of the kitchen unit in the sense of color/material however in reality it was just a shelf on the floor and fridge on top of it. The new fridge was slightly taller and I don't know exactly why? but the guy said we had to remove this. It was not attached to anything just literally on the floor. I guess the original kitchen installation was poorly done? Either way it now sits on the floor with a plinth under it.

I will get some pictures, we're also having washer installed next all of this so it's a bit of a mess as they've just pulled out the washer and the floor is disgusting... looks like previous owners did not know how to clean...

Hi you can see on the right the freezer is on a shelf. That's how the left was too.

Attachments

• kitchen1.jpg
    kitchen1.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 98
  • kitchen2.jpg
    kitchen2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 89
  • kitchen3.jpg
    kitchen3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 95
What is the measurement from the floor to underside of worktop?

The freezer looks like a Neff? Think at 870mm height it should fit with legs extended to the floor. There should be a grill that covers up all this plastic gubbins, this usually sits on top of the plinth, behind the appliance door at the bottom.

I wonder if your worktops are a little high? hence sitting it on a shelf.
Whats under this shelf? as it doesn't look like it's sat well on the floor?

You should still be able to get these levelled up, so the door fronts are level and don't move when opened.

Sorry to answer with more questions!

What is the measurement from the floor to underside of worktop?

The freezer looks like a Neff? Think at 870mm height it should fit with legs extended to the floor. There should be a grill that covers up all this plastic gubbins, this usually sits on top of the plinth, behind the appliance door at the bottom.

I wonder if your worktops are a little high? hence sitting it on a shelf.
Whats under this shelf? as it doesn't look like it's sat well on the floor?

You should still be able to get these levelled up, so the door fronts are level and don't move when opened.

Sorry to answer with more questions!

Hi so after the last post I couldn't remember why the currys install guy had taken the shelf at the bottom out and put the fridge directly on the floor...so I decided to pull out the fridge and put it back... in doing so... I realized the guy might have simply forgot...and to save face created some non-sense reason for not putting it back since it would require pulling it all out again after he spent ages fiddling with the feet.
So I pulled it out and put the shelf back in, I also realized that the fridges feet at the back were WAY shorter than the front... so I adjusted these so that the fridge wasn't so tilted backwards... and believe it or not...after about 20mins of adjusting and testing... I have managed to get the fridge to sit aligned with the freezer AND pushed to the top so that it does not rub on the counter nor is it moving around when you open the door.... I now believe the guy was just lazy and was trying to cut corners... rather than pull it all out and adjust the back feet repeatedly until it was right...he simply blamed the freezer and said get some sealant on the top that will solve it as nothing else can be done.

Can't believe we paid for that installation! but very happy that I have managed to get it to not move without glue or sealant was very concerned about the future if I had to take it out for any reason.
Thank you everyone for your resposnes and assistance on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back