Integrated power shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power shower which was professionally installed about 18 months ago and has been brilliant. It is the type where the pump is actually inside the shower unit on the wall.

It now will randomly stop pumping water although the pump itself is still running normally. If I then leave it for about an hour it then works
normally again.

Could this be being caused by an airlock?

The hot feed comes off a Surrey Flange on the tank and the cold feed comes off its own pipe from the cold tank in the loft. Opposite end of tank to the cold feed to other taps.

Any help as to how to solve appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it is caused by cavitation, try lowering the temperature of the hot water tank to see if it helps.

If it is caused by cavitation, try lowering the temperature of the hot water tank to see if it helps.

Thank you for this. The hot water tank is only heated by an emersion and I had already tried reducing the thermostat on the immersion down to 45 but it is still happening. It's very strange because as I say everything has worked perfectly since it was installed about 18 months ago and suddenly I start getting this problem. I can't go any lower on the thermo otherwise the water is not hot enough.

Just tried again with the water temp in the tank at just tepid. Turned power shower on for literally just a minute then off. Turned it on again and no water - just the integral pump going. Could there be a blockage somewhere in the unit itself. I have descalled the shower head but again it's made no difference.

Sponsored Links
Coming from dartmoor I have no experience of scale, so will politely butt out and let somebody more experienced suggest a solution. Good luck!

Could be your water storage capacity in the loft is insufficient. The tank in loft will feed your shower with cold and also the hot water cylinder as well. If your under your shower a while you could drain the loft tank quicker than it can re fill it and therefore gravity wont push the water out of the cylinder. If this is the issue you could install a tandem tank next to your current one in the loft or or bigger one altogether.

Good luck

As said check the level in your tank when this happens poss your running it low and pulling in air.
also check at the shower filters that you are getting an even flow from both hot/cold without the shower running.

what make is it triton, mira etc ?
these showers can use a good 15 l/min water supply.

Unless something has gone wrong with either the water level in my cold or hot water cylinders I don't think it is that. I will however check the cold water tank is case something happened during the freezing cold weather recently. As I say the shower has been performing perfectly for 18 months without a hitch. I am also the only person in the house so no one else is drawing off water at the same time.

The make is a Triton AS2000XT thermostatic power shower.

I guess the shower filters could be a possibility. Is it an easy process to clean them or will I need a plumber?

This morning it is now not working at all. Pump running but no water.

Thank you for all your advice.

As mentioned above, you could have a faulty float valve or there could be dirt in the pipe line. Do you have a lid on your cold water tank?

Andy

As mentioned above, you could have a faulty float valve or there could be dirt in the pipe line. Do you have a lid on your cold water tank?

Andy

Yes the tank is modern and has a lid and is fully insulated. I have had a look at it and there does not seem to be any problem with the float valve. It was replaced at the time the shower was installed. The cold feed has no sharp elbow bends in it and is flexible plastic tube.

Try running it without the shower hose attached, it might be collapsing when hot and after it has cooled it works again. Simple I know but worth a try.
Steve

Try running it without the shower hose attached, it might be collapsing when hot and after it has cooled it works again. Simple I know but worth a try.
Steve

Have tried but it is not working at all now. The pump runs but no water whatever I try.

Other hot and cold taps are fine.

check the filters have flow to them. 2min job.
if flow to filters check solenoid coil for resistance.

changed quite afew of these after the first yr.

check the filters have flow to them. 2min job.
if flow to filters check solenoid coil for resistance.

changed quite afew of these after the first yr.

Sorry - I don't understand. The filters are clean and the pump runs properly but no water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back