Intercom problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have recently had an intercom system fitted on our small block of flats. But it is not working as I would have expected. We have an intercom panel at the front door and a handset in each of the flats. If you lift the handset in any flat you can hear conversations of people passing by the panel at the front door. If someone is speaking into the panel at the front door any of the flats can hear the conversation, not just the flat whos buzzer has been pressed and if 2 flats lift their handsets at the same time they can speak to each other without anyone pressing any thing. It causes real privacy issues, if a flat leaves its handset off the hook all other flats and people near the panel at the front door can hear what is going on in the flat. The installer tells us this is all fine / normal. Buti it seems to me it can't be. Does anyone have any idea what is wtong? Thanks

Sponsored Links
thats correct the speech is common on a basic system. for a start why would you leave your intercom off hook and its an intercom system for letting people in not a private telephone so its not there to discuss you private affairs.

Thanks Mark for prompt reply. Surprised by answer as it hasn't been this way anywhere else I have lived or worked. Would like to leave handset in flat off the hook when going to bed for example when don't want to be disturbed by door bell ringing (late night revellers, we are on a high street). Is there alternative system / anything that can be done to improve privacy?

what intercom have you got ? some models have a privacy switch or you can fit a on / off switch. post a picture of handset. the more expensive systems ( mod isolate ) only connect one handset at at time but the controllers are far more expensive than basic systems.

Sponsored Links
What you describe is absolutely normal for almost all intercom systems apart from the ones that have isolation between handsets, which are usually used on large installs (towerblocks) or council contracts.

Owain thanks for your reply. Surprised, but guess as first thing I need to do is put a notice on exterior box telling passers by their conversations can be heard!

cheapest way 1 x on/on toggle switch from rs drill hole on side of handset and wire in via connection number 7 simple on off switch...

Owain thanks for your reply. Surprised, but guess as first thing I need to do is put a notice on exterior box telling passers by their conversations can be heard!

That will probably encourage them to press buttons and shout rude words.

I agree! If you are in the street having a conversation, you expect to be overheard any way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back