Interest or lack of

B

breezer

Just come Back from the Abbey National.
I wanted to "uograde" my savings account to one of better interest.
Made apointment to see "advisor"
waited 10 minutes gets called
Show savings book

Conversation goes (shortened version, B=breezer, A =Abbey national)

B) can i upgrade this account to one of better interest?

A) Yes, the one you have is very old and only pays 1%

B) great, I'll do that, can i have the one you just mentioned? (6%)

A) Yes, but as you are an existing saver you only need 1 form of picture ID, passport, drivers licence.

B) But I am here, (looks in mirror, Yes that is me)

A) Sorry but that will not do

B) Shows work picture ID

A) Sorry but that is not the same name, but it is you.

B) Ok then, if i want to close the account you will give me a cheque right now?

A) Yes

B) OK, i would like to close the account then please

A) Ok sir, but i have to comply with the company policy.

I am then given a cheque + inerest for whole amount.

Walk next door into "my bank" wait for advisor (not 5 minutes)

Advisor asks have you an account wioth us, i give account Number, no id, sicne it is me.
Advisor suggests get an online account, pays more than 6%, advisor then pays cheques in for me, gives me a recipt.

I will be starting my online account later today.

I know I could have been anyone, but i didnt want to Take money out, only move it. But the Abbey had no qualms about giving me a cheque,

Go figure

My point is If you want to waste time go to the Abbey, if you want service go to LLoyds

(I feel better now)

Sponsored Links
Not had experience with either of those companies. But I have an instant access online saver with A&L, never had any complaints about them. Left Nationwide for HSBC with my current account. They wouldnt give me a debit card, just an ATM card. Hate cash. :LOL: HSBC didnt hesitate to give me a debit card, and a credit card too! (back when i was thinking about being a student, it was a student account)

I think the id checks are to do with preventing identity theft and money laundering, not protecting 'your' money.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
My point is If you want to waste time go to the Abbey, if you want service go to LLoyds

(I feel better now)

Had similar last friday. An old aunt with senility probs has just gone into a care home. The wife who has been an 'appointee' for several years went to Lloyds (where aunt has been a customer for more than 40 yrs) to set up a direct debit for the care home fees. Nope can't do that said Lloyds. The Aunt has to come in with passport ID etc etc. The reason being that Lloyds dont have aunts signature on computer base :eek: Wife decides not to argue the fact that aunt signs chegues, for care home etc etc... Wife has had to arrange for legal power of attorney :rolleyes:

Good job she did it now as in October , laws for power of attorney are being simplified :rolleyes: which means you will have to go through a Magistrate to get Enduring power of attorney, this will probably cost over £1k...

Actually wer'e going to get LPA for each other, Just in case me, or wife wake up one morning and can't sign a cheque or tell the time any more. It will only cost us £120 for both.. but in october it would cost alot more and take months... Life it gets easier :LOL:

Just moved house. Other half is with Abbey. Despite handing in change of address forms over the day we moved her statements etc are still being sent to her parents house (10 weeks later).

People who sold the house also bank with Abbey and guess what? We've had 2 of their statements, a chequebook and 2 new cards for them. Luckily they've not moved far so we can take the stuff round, but what if we weren't honest?

BoxBasher said:
Just moved house. Other half is with Abbey. Despite handing in change of address forms over the day we moved her statements etc are still being sent to her parents house (10 weeks later).

People who sold the house also bank with Abbey and guess what? We've had 2 of their statements, a chequebook and 2 new cards for them. Luckily they've not moved far so we can take the stuff round, but what if we weren't honest?

they can be very stupid with things like this.

i had an egg card which i thought i cancelled along with all of the rest of my cards more than 3 years ago. last month a brand new card turns up at my old address which i havent lived at since 2005. luckily my mate still lives there so he cut it up for me.

you might have thought egg would have put 2+2 together after i had not used the card or the website in 3 years. but alas no.

Mistakes do happen with any system that needs updating but I also believe that these institutions hope that (if you are still living there) that you may start up an account with them again. Bit like cold calling.

Sponsored Links
Back