Lotto - winning big

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is more of a 'out of curiosity' thing than anything else!

I play Lotto (national lottery) and do so online. When I win, I get an email saying 'exciting news, you've won a prize, please log into your account ...' blah blah blah. I log in, and there's a message telling me I've won and that the winning sum e.g. £20 has been automatically paid into my online account balance.

What I've sometimes wondered (if you play online) is how Camelot contact you if you win big, as in the jackpot or close to. I'm assuming they follow a different procedure as oppose to simply sending an automatic email as per above, and I very much doubt they'd simply pay e.g. £5,000,000 directly into your online account :)

I wonder if, when it's over a certain threshold, you simply get an email advising 'please contact us ...'

And yes, I know I've probably got more chance of 10 Victoria Secret models knocking on my door than winning big, however as I say it's more of a curiosity thing as to how they inform you when it's a much larger prize. I also wonder if they give you time to set up a new bank account etc as I know for sure I wouldn't want millions paid into my usual bank account. The locals would find out in no time!

Sponsored Links
I think it works in a similar way to the paper tickets.
Smaller prizes are paid out by a lottery retailer.
Larger prizes you have to ring a number at Lottery HQ in Watford(?)

They'll invite you to their hq to sort out the formalities.
At this point you can get a solicitor to deal with it, but i wouldn't trust anybody.
You'll have 180 days to claim the winning and then you can set up a new bank account and prepare the suitcase for the wife...

Sponsored Links
They'll invite you to their hq to sort out the formalities.
At this point you can get a solicitor to deal with it, but i wouldn't trust anybody.
You'll have 180 days to claim the winning and then you can set up a new bank account and prepare the suitcase for the wife...
I remember seeing a tv prog years ago about winning big (this was pre internet.) A middle aged couple. The guy said it was totally surreal. Driving to Camelot HQ in their old Ford Sierra on its last legs. Sitting waiting for their ticket to be verified. Then driving home in the old Sierra knowing they were now worth x million. It must on that level be a totally surreal thing to experience.

I also remember reading they provide more assistance to winners (in terms of financial advice, setting up different bank account etc) if they accept publicity, however could be a load of rubbish.

There's a guaranteed way of winning a million on the lottery...

put two million on.

To guarantee winning the National Lottery, you would need to wage £45,000,000.

Not many times it has topped this, and if it did, there could be more than one winner.............:cry::cry::cry:

In my dreams, when I win the lottery I drive to camelot in my car and my wife a mile behind me in her car.
So if i'm in an accident my wife could fetch the ticket from my pocket before the blues did...
Open to different outcome of the dream, i.e. wife never making it to Camelot...

In my dreams, when I win the lottery I drive to camelot in my car and my wife a mile behind me in her car.
So if i'm in an accident my wife could fetch the ticket from my pocket before the blues did...
Open to different outcome of the dream, i.e. wife never making it to Camelot...
Both of you have a crash?Dog eats the ticket...you both get hit by meteors?.. ALL more likely than hitting jackpot.

Both of you have a crash?Dog eats the ticket...you both get hit by meteors?.. ALL more likely than hitting jackpot.
Well, i suppose that a couple in 2 separate cars a mile apart having an accident in the same journey is statistically more plausible than winning the lottery...

Well, i suppose that a couple in 2 separate cars a mile apart having an accident in the same journey is statistically more plausible than winning the lottery...
tbh I can't remember exactly how I did it, however years back I put a downer on things at work by calculating how many people in our county would win the jackpot over the next century. I'm sure it was something like 6! lol. Still, in it to win it and all that. 'If' you win, I'm sure the ridiculous odds become a distant memory very quickly! I liken it to putting 45,000,000 tiny metal ball-bearings in a large container, 1 of them is a different colour. Then, blind-folded, you've to stick your hand in and find that 1 ball-bearing to win the jackpot.

Sponsored Links
Back