Lotto - winning big

IIRC, it was late 2008, and we were worried for our jobs due to the "credit crunch".

I organised a lottery syndicate at work, of about 70 players at the time.

Again iirc, the number 31 came out, whereas we'd picked 32. Might have been the other way around though.

We won £37 each.

If it had been the other way around, we'd have won £38k. Each.

Small margins.......

Sponsored Links
When I ran a joinery company the sprayer so employed, told me a few years before he joined that he played the lottery every week, same numbers.....and one week he didn't do it and yup, they came up.

I'm pretty sure it was true because he said it took him literally years to come to terms with ut

Before the on-line business started if you 'thought' you had won you phoned a certain number. They would make some checks over the phone and then tell you to expect a visit within the next 2 hours, (didn't matter what time of day or night), and to have you ticket and some form of ID available. Someone would then turn up at your door, (usually 2 or even 3 'officials'), who would provisionally verify you were who you said you were, your ticket appeared to be genuine and the amount you MAY have won depending on other claims and official verification. They would also want to know where and when you bought the ticket. If this all checked out you were then offered the chance to be put up at a hotel with staff available to answer any questions you may have and also to 'counsel' you and try to help you come to terms with what you were feeling and what to expect. They could also put you in touch with financial advisors, solicitors etc etc. Eventually you would be taken to HQ, which at the time I think was in Nottingham or Sheffield, (somewhere in that region), where it would officially be declared that you had won X amount. You would be given a lump sum to 'tide you over' until the formalities had been completed and the money was yours.
There was a programme on TV about it many years ago, shortly after the first big winner I think.

When I ran a joinery company the sprayer so employed, told me a few years before he joined that he played the lottery every week, same numbers.....and one week he didn't do it and yup, they came up.

I'm pretty sure it was true because he said it took him literally years to come to terms with ut
I'm in that position as we (stupidly) chose family birthday dates for our numbers! That was way back when it first started. And yes, there have been a few times (but only a few) when I didn't put the numbers on. Obviously I did everything in my power to ensure I didn't find out the results! I reckon, and I'm not meaning this in a disrespectful way to anyone, if I knew I'd missed out on a million plus, I'd probably be very VERY depressed for years if not the rest of my life, perhaps even suicidal! Having to get up every morning for the 9-5 etc knowing you shouldn't have to would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Yes I know there's more to life than £££ but still!

Sponsored Links
I'm in that position as we (stupidly) chose family birthday dates for our numbers! That was way back when it first started. And yes, there have been a few times (but only a few) when I didn't put the numbers on. Obviously I did everything in my power to ensure I didn't find out the results! I reckon, and I'm not meaning this in a disrespectful way to anyone, if I knew I'd missed out on a million plus, I'd probably be very VERY depressed for years if not the rest of my life, perhaps even suicidal! Having to get up every morning for the 9-5 etc knowing you shouldn't have to would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Yes I know there's more to life than £££ but still!

I take the philosophical view that if I was meant to have something then fate would determine when I got it. I also used to do the birthday numbers game and when I decided to stop doing the lottery every week it was very hard to break. I would find myself rushing to the shop just before it closed to get my usual ticket. Eventually I started getting a lucky dip instead and it took a few months before I gradually found it easier to check the numbers without thinking some of the drawn ones may have resulted in a win on my old system. Nowadays I very rarely buy a ticket and if I do buy one on the spur of the moment it can sit in my wallet for weeks before I remember it's there.

I take the philosophical view that if I was meant to have something then fate would determine when I got it. I also used to do the birthday numbers game and when I decided to stop doing the lottery every week it was very hard to break. I would find myself rushing to the shop just before it closed to get my usual ticket. Eventually I started getting a lucky dip instead and it took a few months before I gradually found it easier to check the numbers without thinking some of the drawn ones may have resulted in a win on my old system. Nowadays I very rarely buy a ticket and if I do buy one on the spur of the moment it can sit in my wallet for weeks before I remember it's there.
Same here.
If luck has to come my way, it will with a random ticket almost forgotten in my wallet...

Back