Interesting...

Sponsored Links
OMG, something that the great B-A-S doesn't know???

Of course not, it ain't in the BGB or Approved Doc P........ :mrgreen:

Or known to many other people here, as the issue has been discussed several times.

Are they designed to work at the low currents and granularity you'd need to check domestic Type B MCBs?

Sponsored Links
I dare say ban, that it has just been checked that it makes and breaks alright, and that the calibration of the mag and thermal trips has not been checked, because as you know its deemed not neccessary and the equipment is large and expensive

I did come across an RCBO from one of the three letter brands that would trip alright when pressing the test button or flicking to off, but except for a brief flicker of a few tens of milliseconds as it passed through the trip position, when it settled into the off position it was still closed

I remember living on a caravan site where the supply to each caravan was limited to 5/6 amp as the supply was only 200A (100A split phase) and the incoming trip was regularly tripping because people were doctoring the trips. From scratching off the 1 of a 16A MCB to altering the adjustment screw on the 6A and even shorting them out.

He wanted an easy way to check if they had been doctored so he had a 2KW fan heater which had a 16A blue plug and he would go around and just plug it in. If it tripped OK if not must be doctored so it was changed.

He did have quite a large box of doctored trips he had removed what stops these from being sold on?

Surely a visual inspection of a doctored MCB would show obvious signs of tampering?

Surely a visual inspection of a doctored MCB would show obvious signs of tampering?

Surely its got to be quicker to plug a heater in than remove the cover for the inspection.

I overcame this by fitting a 5A fuse inside the sealed enclosure before the accessible MCB/RCD on the site I used to work on.

The majority of the work I did there was repairing the damage caused by driving off with the power connected, at least twice a week in the summer.

The majority of the work I did there was repairing the damage caused by driving off with the power connected, at least twice a week in the summer.

Have you seen those auto eject connectors which are starting to get used on some exhibition stand trailers and fire service vehicles, when the ignition is trurned on the plug pops out onto the ground :) .... doesn't stop someone trapping the lead in the door though :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back