Intergas Combi Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking for a new boiler for my 2 bed, 1 bathroom flat and thought that the Intergas HRE 28/24 might be suitable and was attracted by its simplicity and hopefully resultant reliability.

It also meets my requirement for hot water.

As I only need about 10kW max for the heating and much less normally, is the min 7.2kW of the boiler going to be a problem?

I'm presuming it will actually run in on/off mode most of the time.

Alternatively am I better going to something like a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 824 or 831 that can modulate down to 3.8 or 5.2kW?

Lastly I notice that the installation manual for the Intergas boiler now says that "It is no longer permissible to utilize a non-thermostatic controlled radiator as a by-pass".

I am currently doing just that and I'm not sure I really have a suitable place I can install a bypass. Will not fitting one invalidate the warranty?

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Sponsored Links
part 8.1.2 says:

If all radiators are equipped with thermostatic or radiator valves, an auto bypass must
be fitted in order to guarantee minimum water circulation. The auto bypass must be as
far as possible from the appliance in order to prevent overheating of the appliance.

so if you got rads that don't have TRVs then i would not worry to much about it.

find a good installer and go with what he thinks is best for you. be it Wb valliant or intergas. i would go with intergas if it was me though

This is something where you can take the advice of your installer.

The ability of a boiler to modulate lower will make a small impact on economy, if this worries you, weather compensation would be worth fitting.

The reliability of the Intergas in the UK cannot be proven bearing in mind the miniscule numbers that are being sold. All boilers that have been equipped with Wilo pumps in the UK have experienced durability issues. The Intergas has the cheaper Wilo unit, rather than the Grundfos industry leading model.

As you will have seen elsewhere, there is nothing new in combis without diverter valves and plate heat exchangers. All have been dropped over the years except Intergas and Ferroli. You might like to have a look at Ferroli, and their reliabilty record! They've sold far more boilers than Intergas in the UK. Not to my firm though.

Maybe there won't be a rad designated as a bypass that doesn't have TRVs. However, there must be a room stat. The rad(s) in the room where the stat is shouldn't have TRVs fitted. So, to all intents and purposes, it's a bypass rad in all but name. Of sorts.

Sponsored Links
simond did intergas **** in your coffee once? :LOL: i managed to reply without slagging any other boiler make.you really got a bee in your bonnet over them.

:LOL:

Thank you all for your replies.

I do have a thermostat (Honeywell CM927) in my lounge and the radiators there have no TRV's. fitted. All others have TRV's.

I was a little worried that I would be breaking the terms of the guarantee if I didn't have a 'proper' bypass fitted. The guarantee says that all installation instruction have to be followed.

These now say:

"In the event of reduced or interrupted water circulation in the central heating circuit, an automatic system by-pass should be fitted as far away from the boiler as possible."

"It is no longer permissible to utilize a non-thermostatic controlled radiator as a by-pass."

I'm relieved that you think this isn't an issue.

I take on board your advice about a good installer!

The Intergas has the cheaper Wilo unit, rather than the Grundfos industry leading model.

It does seem strange that with so few parts in the boiler that they would choose to economize by fitting the cheapest pump.

I also think they are missing out by not utilizing the large amount of empty space in their boiler to fit a filler loop and a bypass as most of the other players do. Guess this doesn't go with their minimalist strategy.

Pat

there is nothing wrong with the wilo pumps,its just FUD. half of boilers have grundfos pumps the other half have wilo.

some of the cheapest boilers you can buy(heatline) have grundfos pumps.

in the three years installing and fixing them under warranty(i am a service agent) i have only ever need to change the pump on one boiler.

intergas wanted to have a metal pump housing and only wilo would give it to them(grundfos was pushing crap plastic).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back