Intergas Compact HRE OV18 question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current boiler is a simple thing (like me) and just heats water. It's an open vent condensing boiler (Keston 50). An external 3 port valve, a hot water tank with thermostat, electronic CH/HW controller, electrical junction box and a circulating pump complete the picture. It's a system I understand and has proved to be fairly reliable for nearly 20 years so I wish to replace like with like - as far as possible.

I'm sourcing a new boiler. Put off by two examples of W-B boilers I've experienced so looking at alternative makes. Thanks to this forum, I've been introduced to Intergas boilers. Their simplicity appeals but I'm a bit confused by the following wording in the boiler's operating instructions. I'd appreciate an explanation/clarfication:

http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/flip-88325705-Compact-HRE-OV-Operating-instructions

Section 1.2 confuses me. Do I take it that the Intergas Compact HRE OV18 boiler has some or all of my currently external parts included under the bonnet? And if so, will the boiler shut off the CH (assuming it's on at the time) when HW is called for? When cold, the HW tank takes some time to heat to set temperature. Would the radiators remain off for all this time? Thanks for your consideration.

Sponsored Links
That is a heat only boiler.

Routing of the output to cylinder or rads is done using a separate motor valve(s).

Tony

The Intergas should, in theory, be a straight swap but it does depend on how your system is configured. Section 1.2 relates to the fact that an Intergas has an optional feature which can, when the correct system components and controls are fitted, provide very fast heat-up times of your hot water cylinder (assuming the cylinder coil is correctly rated to do this). It can also have a cylinder sensor wired directly to the boiler so that the boiler knows what temperature your hot water cylinder is at and can respond accordingly. It does shut off the central heating when doing this, but the feature means that a typical high-recovery cylinder will heat in about 15-20 minutes, so you never actually notice the heating going off.

It is an optional feature though, and not one that a lot of installers actually know how to enable, so if your system isn't compatible with the feature the boiler can be installed in a more "standard" configuration such as your present one is likely to be

It is an optional feature though, and not one that a lot of installers actually know how to enable, so if your system isn't compatible with the feature the boiler can be installed in a more "standard" configuration such as your present one is likely to be

That is not surprising when the makers don't describe in in their manual and it may not even be discussed on their engineer training courses!

Sponsored Links
That is not surprising when the makers don't describe in in their manual and it may not even be discussed on their engineer training courses!
It requires installation of both high and low voltage components and I think IG are probably a little nervous that someone less than proficient in electrics will cock it up, join the two together somewhere, and blow a PCB. It's taught to the people who take sufficient interest in the subject

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back