Intergas Compact HRE OV - can it be used in a sealed system?

Just been reading about the integral programmer in the IG OV boiler. It seems to be very basic - just two pairs of ON/OFF times per day for the CH circuit, and no facility to differentiate between days of the week.

Further, with the integral programmer, the heat supply to the HW cylinder appears to be controlled purely by the thermostat on the HW cyl, meaning that the HW circuit is live 24 hours every day, and only goes off when the cylinder reaches the set temperature - there is no HW program control like there is for the CH.

Also, it seems the integral programmer only allows the CH circuit and the HW circuit to heat separately, never simultaneously, with priority to the HW circuit. So am I correct in thinking that the integral programmer would never allow the existing 3-way diverter value to operate in its mid position? (My current system is Y plan). Perhaps this arrangement is not such a bad thing, given my HW cylinder is well insulated so would not waste much energy by staying hot 24 hrs a day, but it does rob the system of being able to heat cylinder and radiators simultaneously.

Can anyone confirm if my interpretation is correct? I know I could retain my existing external programmer (which is fairly comprehensive for both CH and HW) and disable the integral one, but I wish there was an electrical diagram in the IG manual to show how to connect the external programmer to the boiler, without having to resort to first principles.

Would really appreciate advice/confirmation on this!

Sponsored Links
The built in programmer is very basic and only intended so that the boiler can be installed and operate in a basic way.

Most users would want to have amore comprehensive external controller.

It seems normal for most boilers to expect to be used with a hot water priority system as modern cylinders will reheat very quickly and during that time the radiators will still retain most of their heat.

It is totally possible to add controls to do pretty much what you want although in some cases some simple electronics will be required.

All I can say is that the IG boiler is capable of being very versatile when installed by someone who understands them and how to integrate controls.

Tony Glazier

John this boiler can be made to do all sorts of things that a basic recky of the spec and brochures will not show.

Dual flow temps is one where the water is heated quick whilst the heating can then switch over to a weather compensated low temperature.

The wiring diagram in the book does actually tell you all you need to know.

Thanks Tony and Dan for the reassurance.

Ok, great, I'll work out all the connections from the given electrical diagrams for use with my exisiting programmer, which I think suits our house needs adequately - not that I'm expecting I'll need to replace the present boiler for a long time yet, but all this research has got me thinking about different scenarios ......

Sponsored Links
Yes, all clear now for my anticipated setup (Y plan), having looked at the relevant wiring diagrams in the IG installation manual.

Thank you.

Next step is to give some TLC to my existing boiler: install Magnaclean (oe), flush system, dose with inhibitor, ..... Should have done these last 2 tasks over 2 decades ago, but as for servicing still not convinced I should arrange for its first ever service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back