Problem with new Intergas boiler install. HRE 18 OV

I would have started by powering the pump from the boiler.

When a heating requirement ceases that enables the latent heat to be extracted from the boiler heat exchanger.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Or wire the pump into a time delay relay.

Depends on the installation obviously.

James.

Wasn't there an IG service engineer coming last Monday?

Update....

Official Intergas service engineer came over this morning.

After a lot of head scratching, 3 cups of tea, about 6 calls to the Intergas technical department, changing sensors S1, S2 and the PCB....
.....Still NOTHING!, the boiler sat on operating mode 1 after its initial run of around 5 minutes.

He ran it in test mode, and some other testing type modes which worked fine, tested everything he could like the flue readings, gas valve pressure, etc..

He claimed he had never come across anything like it, but everything indicated that the boiler is not at fault and it has to be the programmer, stats or wiring. He said there would be no charge and all new parts are fine to keep in - Can't fault that kind of excellent, no nonsense customer service!

He spoke to my installer over phone and explained. Installer came over right away, as Intergas guy was leaving, they met. Intergas guy decided to stick around as he was curious and intrigued.

Installer ran a brand new cable with wall plug and powered up boiler to bypass all wiring, switched on.... still nothing.... Intergas guy looked puzzled. Installer then ran direct new cable from pump too to be sure, still nothing.

Intergas guy gets back in touch with tech dept, explains problem points back to boiler. Tech dept once again: check flow, flow return, pump, same things installer has been told over the past week... Still nothing.

Intergas guy then changes "wire straps"- wiring looms that go between sensors and board and you guessed it, still nothing. Phones tech again, requests authorisation to try new fan... still nothing.

Finally, he requests tech dept gets in touch with the tech Guru in the Netherlands.... Tech guru says connect terminals 4 and 5 on the low voltage side. He connects 4 and 5, and VOILA!!!! everything comes to life... we all look at each other in shock/relief/ excitement?

Checked everything, and seems fine, all demands from programmer result in boiler starting up right, heaters coming on etc.. all done finally!

Intergas guy had no idea about and would never have tried connecting 4 and 5 and doesn't know what it did and how and why.
The only thing we could conclude was, as this boiler has a manufacturing date of march 2014, and is so new, the pcb has some sort of update ( he claims theyr'e always improving and updating components) that hasn't been explained to the UK tech dept yet? - He will be bringing it up with Intergas in the Netherlands on his next regular trip there.

They both left and I was relieved and very happy obviously. I left the heating on, but about an hour later, just as I was about to pop the Champagne, I noticed the boiler had been running pretty hard, and hadn't really slowed down at all or stopped, the heaters were REALLY hot and uncomfortable to touch.

I don't know what to really expect from condensing boilers, but expected it to reach its flow temp then slow down or shut down, I felt a little gutted as it just didn't feel like it was running as it should.

I lowered the CH temp from 80 to 70, as I did this and saved the setting, there was an instant lowering in speed and going even lower, a shutdown to code 1. - Promising!
After around 5 minutes, it would start up again, which seemed normal and what it should do, but I found it would not slow down or shut down once running again from that point or restarting , which can't be right. - Gutted again!

I decided to take the front cover off, and found that a small black of wire had been left off. Looking at the manual, I found that connectors 9 and 10 on the low voltage side say "boiler thermostat" or something like that. I decided to try connecting this there.

Although I haven't had a chance to test it for a long period and vigorously yet, it seems to have done the trick and the boiler ticks over quietly after its initial higher fan speed, while holding a lower temperature of 62 degrees which I found more suitable , heaters are much more comfortable and don't feel like they're going to burn your skin off... I just get the feeling it is running right now.... I hope! Fingers crossed! :eek:

Sponsored Links
This is going to cause a stink in the closed section :LOL:

Terminals 4&5 are some bizarre Dutch thing for when they go away. I can't remember exactly what it deos and how... but the link needs to be there.

My hunch? Your installer removed it when he took the link out of 6&7.

If the boiler is set to P1 - 1 - and there is no link in 9&10 the boiler will think it is doing hot water and the status will be 6 - remember we covered this a few page ago. Putting the link in 9&10 makes the boiler think it is doing heating only.

You should check the parameters and put them back to P1 - 3. Then remove that link.

Not that I should be encouraging you to be poking around in the wiring terminals.

*edit* - although what you have done is kind of trick the boiler into operating as if P1 was 3....

Hi Dan,

I'm almost certain P1 = 3.

I went through all parameters just to double check they were set to default, when Intergas guy left, as he had changed the PCB.

Intergas get an unnatural coverage in the part of this forum where Gas Safe people bicker and help each other in equal measure.

Thinking about things, if the boiler is modulating with the link wire in, then you might as well leave it as is.

I'm glad that there is no fault with the boiler though.

It's going to sound cheeky, but if the installer returns, could you ask them to take a photo of the wiring inside the PCB compartment so you can post them on here?

James.

I was suspecting something like that too but we never got any photo.

Its a trap for the unwary! Not mentioned on the IG course, not mentioned in the book either ( unless they have now added it ).

It comes with the required link in place!

But as its on the low voltage controls side an "installer's" logic is to remove it when wiring the boiler for 230v controls!

So its an installer's error! Although a very understandable one.

But this kind of thing is why we recommend that IG boilers are fitted by those who are experienced with them. ( Can also give a longer warranty )

Tony Glazier

So does anyone know what this elusive link 4-5 is on the X4 connector? What exactly is it's purpose?

In the manual, it is labelled as "External Saving Switch (remove connection)" with what looks like a picture of a crescent moon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back