Intergas HRE 40 SB oversized?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after comments/ advice on my proposed set up at home.

My house is a large 4 bed semi over 4 floors, c/w basement which I will be making habitable (games room/ utility). Installed new radiators and they total up to approx 26kw, I erred on the side of caution when sizing the rads so they are slightly over sized.

I will end up with a family bathroom, loft ensuite c/w shower and cloakroom WC (plus possible shower) in the basement.

I plan on installing an Intergas system boiler on an s plan system along with a telford tempest stainless 200l indirect unvented cylinder, these will both be installed in the basement. I believe that the coil on this will require around 21kw. ALL cold feeds including the kitchen tap will come from the balanced cold supply before the cylinder.
I will be pairing the boiler with an opentherm Honeywell Lyric T6, all rads will have TRV's, automatic bypass valve fitted before CH/ DHW 2 port.

I am yet to check my water pressure but regardless of this in the next couple of years I will be replacing the incoming lead with 32mm MDPE back to the road.

The main question I have is regarding the boiler sizing. The HRE 30SB is rated at 26.3kW so should cope however this is at maximum capacity and leaves me stuck if I want to add extra rads etc. (likelihood is I may only ever install 1 extra rad anyway).

The HRE 40 SB is rated at 40kW but in the Intergas installer section on setting the maximum CH power this is with the fan running at 99% of capacity, none of the other boilers in the range show ratings with the fan at max. capacity. With the fan running at 85% comparable to the others the max. CH capacity is actually only 34.8kW.

I am erring towards the HRE 40 SB as the actual capacity is lower than the 40kw (which is way oversized), the cost difference is neglible and frankly I like having a bit of extra capacity if required.

I would set the maximum CH capacity to around 30kw anyway. Given that both boilers modulate down to nearly the exact same figures and I would be limiting the CH capacity anyway surely there will be little to no difference in energy consumption. I also believe that because the boiler is fully modulating and the minimum turn down figures are so close I shouldnt see the boiler cycling much more if at all?

Look forward to your comments, although this is my first post I have read the forum a lot and done a hell of a lot of reading on Intergas boilers recently!

Sponsored Links
Onsite inspection will be required so Leave that decision to the boiler installer,if you can find one happy to work on what has already been installed :!:

I would advise you forget both of those choices and fit a 36 ECO RF instead. Configure it using priority domestic hot water and you'll have a fantastic combination

Plus the ECO has a ten year warranty as opposed to 7 for the 30SB and 40 SB

I was always going down the Eco 36 RF route and was aware that it could be run as a system boiler, had concerns that a combi wouldn't be good enough so once I started thinking about cylinders was looking at the system boilers instead. I suppose Eco RF 36 is the best choice either way.

Frankly I think I will just install an Eco RF 36 for now and forget about the cylinder. I won't end up with the shower room in the loft until I convert it which is likely at least 3 years away, if I have issues or decide to install a cylinder I can do it at any point as got the room and everything is easily accessible. My priority at the moment is replacing the old gas back boiler which coupled with the ancient single panel rads heats the house pathetically and is likely costing me a fortune whilst doing it!

I think I will go for the separate expansion vessel aswell, the rear jig fitting kit looks like it could be an access issue if there were any problems.

Any recommendation on where to buy the kit from? Best ive found so far is to just buy the eco rf 36 boiler bundle from the intergas shop.

Sponsored Links
I much prefer the external fitting kit personally.

Richard is very good at the Intergas shop, roughly whereabouts in the Uk are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back