Intergas Service Department.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I still haven't changed my boiler (contemplating removing open vent cylinder & tank etc and replacing with a 35kw combi). Rightly or wrongly, after much deliberation and consideration of all the usual arguments for and against, I'm not over keen on the alternative (perhaps more obvious?) System Boiler and Unvented Cylinder.

Will admit to overthinking the whole affair and was fairly settled on Intergas but latterly considered a Baxi 800 series Combi might be a more sensible alternative (mainly due to, hopefully, more ready supply of spares if needed - plus more installers/service guys locally will be more familiar with them ... there are only a handful of Intergas registered bods in South Devon / Exeter and none within 10 miles.

But what I'm getting round to is ... I spotted a brand new Intergas service van parked in Exeter today and would have spoken to the fella if I'd had the opportunity - but circumstances denied me the chance.

Would this suggest that Exeter has a local Intergas employed service engineer? Intergas Head Office were very shy about telling me where their service engineers were based when I asked.

I like to think I do a bit of homework if spending a decent sum of money and haven't had the courage to confirm the final decision, but the more I know about the background of a manufacturer, (and the installer) the happier I am.

Anyone in the know who might happen to live locally ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It depends on how you define "local". They're very reliable boilers, so the service engineers tend to cover a reasonably big area, but I believe there are also subcontracted engineers available in more remote areas to pick up any high demand. You won't need spares for at least 10 years if you go for a model with a warranty of that length, so immediate spares availability isn't an issue, and in any case pretty much everything one might need is available next day. The Baxi is a fairly unremarkable boiler, with poorly implemented OpenTherm, and their backup isn't always that great.

Ta for the response. All noted with interest. I wish I'd got hold of the driver though. Given the emphasis placed on getting the best installer possible he might have had one or two personal recommendations.

Had no awareness of Opentherm performance on Baxis - they just seemed to come reasonably well thought of ...Youtube has a contributor by the name of Alan Hart who seems to favour them and comes across as decent and honest [if there is such a thing :unsure: ]

Big Al has favoured more boiler brands than I've had hot dinners. He was an ATAG rep for a while a few years ago, then very suddenly wasn't any more. He's got his band of followers, but I know quite a few respected industry pro's who think he's full of drivel. He certainly seems very keen to promote whatever is newest to the market, especially if it's made by one of his mates...

Sponsored Links
All received.

It is a bit of a minefield, is it not?

Certainly I do still have a soft spot and a practical inclination towards Intergas - I just wish they had achieved a bit more "presence" after all this time in the UK and had become that little bit better known, as opposed to whenever you mention the name to anyone not many seem to know the name.

I think RGB on Marsh Barton were pushing them a few years ago, have a word with them.

Intergas saw Housing Associations as a target market

Read more HERE

Maybe they are happy with the volume of sales to Housing Associations.

"" The new models, Xclusive and Xtreme, connect to the cloud and can be managed remotely by the housing provider. ""

this remote control option may deter the private owner occupier from taking on an Intergas

Last edited:
Mr B
Your trying to worry the problem to a conclusion. There is no doubt in my mind that most boiler choices are made by the consumer having done some limited research and selecting a known make, or by an installer having a loyalty to a particular brand for valid enough commercial reasons. They are both reasonable enough but unless you're intimately involved in heating engineering then the day to day experiences will pass you by. I installed an HRE24 4 years ago, and without tempting providence it has not required any attention other than an annual service since then. I would hope that would be true of any make although anecdotal evidence suggest otherwise. Mine is an external boiler house (coal cellar) along with the unvented cylinder and other than the occassional check of system pressure it just works fine. A decently engineered system will help longevity but other than that I can wholly recommend Intergas based on my experience. Why you would want a combi if you don't have to have one is frankly beyond me.
Regards
Martin

Why would an owner occupier want a boiler that can be "managed" by a third party via a cloud based network.

Can I assume this link to the "cloud" can be dis-connected or is it compulsory.
Not only can it be disconnected, it can be not connected in the first place. You were accidentally correct when you called it an option - it's an Internet Gateway box which must be purchased separately for about £80

I'm grateful for the replies. They will genuinely give me further food for thought.

Actually though, when I say I'm grateful for the replies, I would respectfully exclude Bernard.

Bernard, would you mind awfully if I asked you not to reply?

Bernard, would you mind awfully if I asked you not to reply?
:LOL::LOL::LOL: That made me laugh, yes the Intergas can be connected by an internet gateway box, very good boilers, and the internet control addition is good if the boiler is to be installed for an elderly relative or vulnerable customer where either an Engineer or caretaker or relative or whatever can receive messages that the system pressure is low or a fault is occurring etc ,many manus offer similar systems , not everyone needs them but there are customers that do

I must disregard the posts about third party access and Gateway boxes as they definitely don't apply and it's somewhat lost on me anyway.

As said, the replies HAVE been digested.

And I appreciate and understand the negative thoughts on Combis ... I've spent much of my adult life with a firm dislike of them, going back to the 1980's when I sold Saunier Duval combis for a firm of direct sales cowboys.

I'll think further about the project and may well lean towards the, frequently recommended, option of unvented cylinder and either a system boiler or heat only with separate pump and expansion vessel.

But in a house with just the two of us and a rare need for two hot water draw off points at once, a Combi must at least, warrant some consideration given that the most used hot water runs are short and there's good gas and water flow and pressure provided by dedicated supplies installed specifically for the boiler - and in addition, the warranty for a new Combi covers the whole system for 7 or 8 or 10 years whereas with the unvented option the boiler's covered but that leaves the cylinder and it's controls. And it needs an annual service on top of the boiler.

BUT, the advantage of a cylinder full of hot water in the event of a temporary loss of gas or boiler breakdown is a good point and the absence of any possible concern over two hot water taps being used at the same time is another. And we know that the Combi is, statistically, probably more likely to go wrong more often -(albeit we would hope the warranty covers much of the liability ... but, equally, we keep hearing that manufacturers are prone to dismiss warranty claims given half a chance).

So, although martin43 may say (and I very much appreciate his comments) 'Your trying to worry the problem to a conclusion' I personally reckon it's not necessarily a straight forward decision and surely forums like this are here to talk about things just such as this?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back