Intergas System boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a major rennovation. A new heating system will be one of the components I have to consider.

As I have more than one bathroom, I am looking at a system boiler and tank scenario.

After coming across the intergas range I looked at their system boiler. However this is sold as System "heat only boiler" due to the lack of diverter valve I guess.

Am I correct in assuming this operates much more like a traditional heat only boiler. What are the pros and cons of this type of set up? Is there any efficiency loss due to this? Do the intergas range come with weather compensation or is this another overated component that rarely works in practice?

I like the idea of a simple boiler with less "moving parts", but just wanted to get my head around how their system boiler operates etc.

Sponsored Links
System and heat only boilers are different.

How many threads does one boiler installation need?

SEDBUK is a complete load of bollocks.

Best keep these discussions to a single thread BTW. Otherwise people lose track and therefore interest.

hi dan -

Thanks for the reply.

I am very much aware that system boilers and heat only are different. It was not the SEDBUK website that confused me, it was the intergas website.

"Compact HRE SB

A central heating-only boiler, the Intergas Compact HRE SB system boiler creates the warm and inviting home you’ve always wanted."

Maybe it is just the way they worded it. That is why I just wanted to clarify the difference.

Sponsored Links
System boiler have pipes coming out the bottom and an integral pump.

OV boilers have pipes coming out of the top and no pump.

Functionally they are otherwise the same and can do the same.

WC is great if the building is suitable. Drafts have to be eliminated and insulation brought up to scratch, although i have several places in London with it fitted where it shouldn't work in theory, but the customers are happy.

Ignore manufacturer's bumph. Talk to the installers, and choose one that knows what the products can do.

Out of interest, one of the selling points of the intergas is the lack of "diverter valve". From my rudimentary understanding the diverter valve is able to control the heating of the hot water tank and central heating independently or even at the same time (half way between the two).

With this intergas, is the set up (lack of diverter) therefore similar to my old boiler at the moment. Whereby if I have the heating on, the hot water tank will also heat up. In this set-up a thermostat for the tank is required to ensure the tank is cut of when the correct temperature is reached.

If it is not similar to my current old boiler, how is the temperature of the tank treated individually.

What therefore are the pros of the diverter valve? Is that what allows more individual/different temperature settings for the central heating and hot water tank.

Out of interest, one of the selling points of the intergas is the lack of "diverter valve". From my rudimentary understanding the diverter valve is able to control the heating of the hot water tank and central heating independently or even at the same time (half way between the two).

With this intergas, is the set up (lack of diverter) therefore similar to my old boiler at the moment. Whereby if I have the heating on, the hot water tank will also heat up. In this set-up a thermostat for the tank is required to ensure the tank is cut of when the correct temperature is reached.

If it is not similar to my current old boiler, how is the temperature of the tank treated individually.

What therefore are the pros of the diverter valve? Is that what allows more individual/different temperature settings for the central heating and hot water tank.

With my Daughters intergas combi I connected it as an standard Y plan with a cylinder, then used the combi side to serve the kitchen and utility.

Not overly complecated but you do need an heating guy that can think outside the box.

They are referring to combination boilers.

So the diverter valve is only intrinsic to the combi boiler design?

In the case of system boilers, what differentiates an intergas system boiler from other system boilers? Specifically with the "lack of moving parts" selling point.

Do all system boilers therefore heat the central heating and hot water at the same time? Or can modern system boilers isolate the tank, so you can just have central heating without heating the tank and vice versa.

As I said, my old boiler is either hot water only or central heating and hot water. Only a tank thermostat would isolate the tank. Is this still the same with all modern system boilers?

Yes the heated water is common to the heating and cylinder, Motorized valves and stats tell it where to go when calling via the programmer.

They are referring to combination boilers.

So the diverter valve is only intrinsic to the combi boiler design?

In the case of system boilers, what differentiates an intergas system boiler from other system boilers? Specifically with the "lack of moving parts" selling point.

Do all system boilers therefore heat the central heating and hot water at the same time? Or can modern system boilers isolate the tank, so you can just have central heating without heating the tank and vice versa.

As I said, my old boiler is either hot water only or central heating and hot water. Only a tank thermostat would isolate the tank. Is this still the same with all modern system boilers?
For the system boiler it's just the good heat exchanger design that's the selling point really.

You would still need an external 3-port or pair of 2-port valves to control heating and hot water independently though (including tank stat).

I know this is an often asked question.

But based on a semi detached house with two bathrooms (one with bath and shower, the other with just a shower) and possibly a future en-suite. Would/could a combi be sutiable?

From what I have looked at, everything points to a system boiler, and that is what I have been pretty much set on.

if your going to add a further on-suite i would go for a system boiler, but it depends more on your usage (how many living in the house, any teenagers that spend 40mins in the shower ect).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back