intergrated appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is view on acceptable methods for power to intergrated appliances:

1. fcu above worktop to outlet behind appliance
2. spur to socket in cuboard next to appliance

had a bit of an argument today where the electrician had put fcu above worktop and dropped down to a outlet plate to wire up appliances (needed outlet plate as plug would make appliances stick out of units.)

my point is that by cutting the sealed 13a plug of the appliance to wire to outlet has now invalidated the warranty on the appliance he says he been told to do that way and there is no other way of doing it....

Sponsored Links
I don't see a problem with either method.

I prefer using a plug / socket in the adjacent cupboard just for ease of removing the appliance, but an outlet plate is fine also.

Cutting the plug of does not invalidate the warranty of the appliance.

Seem to remember from "dark days" that if appliance plugs in behind then you are required to fit "kill switch " above worktop with neon indicator
so you can safely switch off in event of mishap

I think we are all in agreement that an accessible isolator is required above the worktop. Not sure where you have got the idea of 'dark days' or the requirement for a neon from.

The discussion here is how to terminate the cable at the appliance end of things.

Sponsored Links
Sorry RF . I have used outlet plates in the past and re neons i have an elecrical engineering background and am used to bells and whistles.

neons are really only used for things that are not in the same room as the switch controling it, where indication that it is still on is required..
such as neons on light switches for attics where the switch is on the landing, or on bathroom light switches outside the bathroom etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back