Interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new house with interior wooden doors.

I have had to replace one.

I want it to 'paint' it to look like the others. What do I use? varnish, stain etc?

Also how do I ensure the same colour, just get a colourt chart from the shop?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That’s a tricky one to answer because without knowing the finish on the other doors it’s all but impossible to tell you what to finish the new door in to make it look like the others.

Where did you buy the door?

If it was from a DIY shed then what is the door called?

Thanks,

I don't know where the doors came from sorry.

What do you use to 'paint' interior doors, is it stain?

I have tried to upload some pics :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nice doors.

There’s a lot of different treatments for interior doors. If they are left as wood then the usual finish would be varnish, or a stain.

Much more than and I’d be guessing and you don’t want to mess up your doors. It really is hard to see from the piccies what they have been finished in. there does seem to be a sheen on the left door, which would suggest a varnish finish. Do you not have any of the packaging left?

Even if you found out it was finished in varnish you need to find the right make and type used. Varnish comes in many different colours and finishes.

One piece of advice about finishing the doors – you can tell when a proper job has been done because the top and bottom of the doors have been done, not just the faces and edges. This is for a reason. You need to fully seal the doors to stop them from warping. If you just do the faces and not the top and bottom you run the risk of moisture in the air getting into the door and making it twist.

The only thing I can think of, which is a lot of work and a pain, but if you really want them all the same is to re-do all the doors.

Sorry I can’t help more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back