Interior filler conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Used afair amount of ready mixed filler to make good after removing a wooden batten ceiling light today. Had to use a fair amount and then waited a good 4 hours before sanding.

Noticed that some of the filler discoloured and went a bit soft after some not too vigourous sanding. Is this normal? Will it dry again if I leave it overnight?

Ta for your help

cedrich

Sponsored Links
Ready mixed filler dries by evaporation which is why it's not much good when you apply it thick. You are better off with a dry (to be mixed) filler really. It might take a few days until it really dries out.

In my experience it's always better to go with mix yourself as the ready mix is a mother to sand in comparison. I have had the same effect with both though. As Joe said, sometimes it can just take a bit longer than you expect to dry out. It's not just thickness but the surface it's bonding to and the local atmosphere that will affect it.

I always try to build up areas that need a lot of filler in layers as say 5 thin layers will dry out quicker than doing it all at once.

Sponsored Links
I always try to build up areas that need a lot of filler in layers as say 5 thin layers will dry out quicker than doing it all at once.

Thats how I would do it, build it up, and there is less chance of it cracking, get rid of the readymade stuff, its a nightmare to sand, and doesnt really do the job properly, it should be banned, along with silk paint. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back