Interior wooden door sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my interior wooden doors is sticking. It was fitted about 6 years ago and it has been fine until a few days ago when I noticed it is sticking and becoming hard to close. It seems to be tighter at the top (above the handle).

Any ideas? Is this normal? :confused:

Sponsored Links
One of my interior wooden doors is sticking. It was fitted about 6 years ago and it has been fine until a few days ago when I noticed it is sticking and becoming hard to close. It seems to be tighter at the top (above the handle).

Any ideas? Is this normal? :confused:

Whats the weather been like? and has the door been treated with a grain sealant?

Damp, cold weather seems to make some wooden doors get a bit upset, but sometimes when the weather picks up again I have found my door is ok again.

I would wait until the weather is decent (average temperature and dry) for say a week straight and if its still sticking you may need to plan 'SMALL' amount off the offending surface of the door.
if in doubt pay someone is my advice....

So, 7 months later - door is still sticking. Not only that, about 3 other doors in the house are sticking also. Is it possible the weather is causing this?

It has rained most of the summer but it's about 18 or 19 degrees celcius. Is it possible this is the cause? I've had the doors for 6 years so I can't understand why this has started to happen.

I planed a couple of millimeters off one of the doors and varnished it - started sticking again a couple of weeks later. :(

Sponsored Links
bet once you get the heating on again they are fine.
I have abuilt in cupboard in my dining room and every year by this sort of time you can't open or shut the door, There has always been a slight damp issue on this wall. but once the heating has been on a month or two there is a bloody great gap around the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back