Intermediate switch wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have put a new intermediate switch in between a hall and landing light switches, so that the light can be independently controlled by any of the three switches. This is so that on stepping out of a room at the other end of the landing to the existing switch, the light can be switched on.

Have three way switches at the ends, and the four way wired in between. The new switch has 2x L1 and 2x L2 terminals, but no common. Therefore, how do I wire up this switch (and the other two) using the new brown/blue and brown/black/grey colours please? (I suspect that the other switches may not be wired in the normal way in order to get this to work).

The only possibility I can think of is wiring the two commons in the intermediate switch together, and not using a terminal for these).

Many thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
yep you connect the two commons together with a terminal block

23wayswitches.jpg

that image is in old colors but theres no real standard for color coding two way switch wiring anyway.

Brilliant, thanks Plugwash.
Had suspected this could be the only possible solution, but wasn't sure if it was the 'approved approach'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back